This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Query on usage of Appinsight for DB monitoring

Hi All,

We have to monitor around 15-20 DBs hosted on Win VMs.. I have gone thru docs for Appinsight and looks all fine..

We are seeing one issue, m sure its not related to in the way Solarwinds works but still need some input if anyone has come across such cases..

Solarwinds server is in 10.x.5.x series and DB servers to be monitored are in 10.x.12.x series... I am able to authenticate Solarwinds DB server which is 5.x itself like Solarwinds application server...but when i try to authenticate other DBs in 12.x series it just says failed...

Verified all settings right from port 1433 to connection settings, remote access allow, SQL server config as all services running, TCP/IP is enabled, Named IP is not in use...Firewall at server level is not running, created user has all rights to login too..

i also tested : with the user created on those DBs, i can logon locally using SSMS but not from 5.x series servers if i try.. however when i try to access 5.x DB from 10.x i can access in SSMS..

Then found out that when i ping the DB in question locally by giving ping -a IP address it gives the FQDN... but when i ping the FQDN i get response from other IP... i found there is 1 Eth adaptor and one backup...so FQDN is responding via second one.. so after this i tried to access the DB using the backup IP from 5.x servers in SSMS, and it opens to my surprise!!! 

But if i try to change that IP in Solarwinds and authenticate WMI it doesnt work, just gets timed out... so has anyone experienced this and what settings DBA will need to change so that the forward and reverse DNS is for same IP and not different...

Sorry for the long post....