This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Problem with WMI Counters for SQL Server

I am having problems with getting WMI Monitors to work with SQL Servers. The servers are a mix of  SQL 2008 and SQL 2005 and the OS's are varied as well.

Looking at the counters using the APMs Find Processes .... option it appears that the counter names have the SQL Instance name prepended to the counter name and therefore change with each server.

Has anyone else come across this, and have you found a way around it. Even the Solarwinds provided template fails, which is a little disappointing  

• Hello,
    I'm not sure why your counters are strongly named with instance and frankly I was not able to find setting that turns on such a behavior so far.

However, it cross my mind if could monitor performance counter by running SQL queries against particular database servers with using of SQL Server User Experience Monitor.

Examlpe query:

SELECT cntr_value AS Value 

FROM sys.dm_os_performance_counters

WHERE object_name like '%SQLServer:Buffer Manager%' AND counter_name like '%Page lookups/sec%'

Regards,

• If SQL server has instance name, then that instance name is present in the name of the performance counter category.

Our default templates work for SQL server with default instance (not named instance).  If user has SQL server instances named, then it's required to update the names of the performance counter categories.

• Thanks for taking the time to answer

I could and probably will collect the data I need using SQL Queries as I have around 30 servers all with named instances to collect it from, which would mean either 30 templates or 30 sets of template overrides, rather defeating the idea of a template.

I was trying not to use sql queries as my instinct  tells me they will be more resource hungry than collecting WMI counters.