This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Powershell script component output in a table

Hello!, I'm wondering if there's any way from a custom table to include a result of a powershell script component.

Here is my case:

A powershell component of the Symantec Endpoint Protection Client 12.1.x.apm-template gives the following outputs:

Untitled.png

What I would like is to create a table with the nodes caption and the 'Definition_Date' output from this component for each node

Is it possible to create from a custom table or a custom query, a table with a reference to an specific output of a powershell component?

thanks.

• Hi there, 

Please have a read through the following as I believe it's the best guide for PowerShell script monitors in SolarWinds: https://blog.kmsigma.com/2017/09/08/sam-powershell-scripting-template/

Kind regards,

Marlie Fancourt | SolarWinds Pre-Sales Manager

Prosperon Networks | SolarWinds Partner since 2006

If this helps answer your question please mark my answer as confirmed to help other users, thank you!

•  are you looking at creating a report, a dashboard widget on a summary page, a widget on a node details page? Either is certainly doable but the query for each one will likely be different.

Rather basically you would could do something like below, it will give an output of the defined statistic you want to show so in the original request the label would equal 'Definition_Date'

SELECT MS.Component.Application.Node.Caption as [Node Name]
    , MS.Label as [Statistic Name]
    , MS.StringData as [Message]

FROM Orion.APM.MultipleStatisticData MS
    --Change the below to match the stastic label of the statistic you would like to display
    where MS.Label = 'Definition_Date'

Then to do something like this for a node details page you could do the following code

SELECT MS.Component.Application.Node.Caption as [Node Name]
    , MS.Label as [Statistic Name]
    , MS.StringData as [Message]

FROM Orion.APM.MultipleStatisticData MS
    --Change the below to match the stastic label of the statistic you would like to display
    where MS.Label = 'Definition_Date' and MS.Component.Application.Node.NodeID = ${NodeID}

• Thanks ,

I was actually looking to show this powershell output information in SAM:

This shows database size and I know this can also be achieved in AppInsight for Exchange, however AppInsight for exchange eats up 50+ licenses and we already have our custom SQL monitoriing only critical services and status and we only need to get the above sample information from the DB.

• , ah I see. 

Well it is doable using a PS script monitor, but the overhead would be a nightmare in large environments. 

I'm thinking that you could do each DB as a PS component and then the respective information as one of the statistic outputs, then you would rinse and repeat for every DB on that SQL server that you want to get that info for. 

The high level of how it would using your example above would be to list out the data you want as a stat and message, understanding that you con do up to 10 outputs per component.

If you paste that PowerShell syntax I should be able to build you an example.

• Hi ,

As always, thanks for your time again on helping out on this one.
    Here is the sample powershell syntax that shows the information:

$Server=”ServerName\InstanceName”           
    [System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName(“Microsoft.SqlServer.SMO”) | out-null
    $SMOserver = New-Object (‘Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server’) -argumentlist $Server
    $SMOserver.Databases | select Name, Size, DataSpaceUsage, IndexSpaceUsage, SpaceAvailable | Format-Table -Autosize

Thanks in advance!

• , here's something really really rough. I haven't tested it but it should work\

I used the output above as an example. The below can be created as a PS component and should output the data for the "AdventureWorks" DB. It could also be worked into that the DB name and Server\Instance could be passed as script arguments. 

$Server = ”ServerName\InstanceName”
    $dbname = "AdventureWorks"
    [System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName(“Microsoft.SqlServer.SMO”) | out-null
    $SMOserver = New-Object (‘Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server’) -argumentlist $Server
    $database = $SMOserver.Databases | select Name, Size, DataSpaceUsage, IndexSpaceUsage, SpaceAvailable | Where-Object {$_.'Name' -eq $dbname}

Write-Host "Statistic.Size: $database.Size"
    Write-Host "Message.Size: Database size is $$database.size"
    Write-Host "Statistic.DataSpaUsage: $database.DataSpaUsage"
    Write-Host "Message.DataSpaUsage: Database size is $$database.DataSpaUsage"
    Write-Host "Statistic.IndexSpaceUsage: $database.IndexSpaceUsage"
    Write-Host "Message.IndexSpaceUsage: Database size is $$database.IndexSpaceUsage"
    Write-Host "Statistic.SpaceAvailable: $database.SpaceAvailable"
    Write-Host "Message.SpaceAvailable: Database size is $$database.SpaceAvailable"

• Hi

Thanks for this awesome idea! Grinning
    Here is the error I'm getting initially:

Then when I updated the code and the statistics to "0" I was able to see the information on the webconsole using the updated script below. The reason I put "0" temporarily is it seems the data is detected as string instead of integer that is why Statistics value is equal to NaN previously. But still, I was able to get the information we want via Message for now. I'm also trying to convert this value to integer but with no luck haha!

$Server=”SQLServerName\Instance”      
    $dbname = "SolarWindsOrion"
    $database = $SMOserver.Databases | select Name, Size, DataSpaceUsage, IndexSpaceUsage, SpaceAvailable | Where-Object {$_.'Name' -eq $dbname}

Write-Host "Statistic.Size: 0"
    Write-Host "Message.Size: Database size is $database.Size"
    Write-Host "Statistic.DataSpaceUsage: 0"
    Write-Host "Message.DataSpaceUsage: Database size is $database.DataSpaceUsage"
    Write-Host "Statistic.IndexSpaceUsage: 0"
    Write-Host "Message.IndexSpaceUsage: Database size is $database.IndexSpaceUsage"
    Write-Host "Statistic.SpaceAvailable: 0"
    Write-Host "Message.SpaceAvailable: Database size is $database.SpaceAvailable"

Still, thank you for the information and code you shared. This gives me more idea and guide of getting information this way, as it is still not supported by default in Solarwinds with powershell table format.

Have a great day ahead! Thumbsup

• , thanks for the feedback. I had to get around this for some M365 templates, you can take the output and convert it to an integer and then use it as the stat, something like below is a good example of how to do it.

$Server = ”ServerName\InstanceName”
    $dbname = "AdventureWorks"

$Size = [int]$database.Size
    $DataSpaceUsage = [int]$database.DataSpaceUsage
    $IndexSpaceUsage = [int]$database.IndexSpaceUsage
    $SpaceAvailable = [int]$database.SpaceAvailable

Write-Host "Statistic.Size: $Size"
    Write-Host "Message.Size: Database size is $Size"
    Write-Host "Statistic.DataSpaceUsage: $DataSpaceUsage"
    Write-Host "Message.DataSpaceUsage: Database size is $DataSpaceUsage"
    Write-Host "Statistic.IndexSpaceUsage: $IndexSpaceUsage"
    Write-Host "Message.IndexSpaceUsage: Database size is $IndexSpaceUsage"
    Write-Host "Statistic.SpaceAvailable: $SpaceAvailable"
    Write-Host "Message.SpaceAvailable: Database size is $SpaceAvailable"

• Hi ,

I was able to follow your procedure and convert it to the int using your provided script. Thumbsup Grinning.

I tried also doing it for the SQL HA availability but it seems it is using a different approach.
    The reason i'm trying to get the information is to start with db size until I can get the HA status to show in Solarwinds without the AppInsight as this is also not available in AppInsight for SQL (image for sample only):

Thanks again! Wink