cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Powershell monitors not working - except for the AppInsights ones

Jump to solution

Ok I have a weird situation here, our AppInsights monitors are working (including the Powershell components), but none of the other Powershell templates are. For instance the Symantec Endpoint Protection Client and Windows Update Monitoring Powershell monitors both fail to connect to the remote server.

***********************************************************************************************************

The error I receive is:

PowerShell script error. Connecting to remote server <server ip> failed with the following error message : The WinRM client cannot process the request. Default authentication may be used with an IP address under the following conditions: the transport is HTTPS or the destination is in the TrustedHosts list, and explicit credentials are provided. Use winrm.cmd to configure TrustedHosts. Note that computers in the TrustedHosts list might not be authenticated. For more information on how to set TrustedHosts run the following command: winrm help config. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.

***********************************************************************************************************

Our AppInsights are configured to use https while the other Powershell templates by default use http. I tried changing the template to use https with port 5986, that didn't resolve the issue and I receive the same error. Both ports 5985 and 5986 are listening on the servers, and I set the trusted hosts to * so it would accept all of our pollers.

Also, I have the templates set to inherit credentials from monitor.

Does anyone have any ideas here?

I realize the error points to WinRM but I don't think that's the issue. I checked the config and AppInsights are working.

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
Level 9

So as it turns out...  I just needed to add the trusted hosts on the SolarWinds servers, this whole time I thought it had to be on the boxes I was monitoring. I didn't even have access to the servers, but once I got it, I ran  winrm set winrm/config/client @'{TrustedHosts=*}' on the SW app server and polling engines and the checks started to work.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Level 9

So as it turns out...  I just needed to add the trusted hosts on the SolarWinds servers, this whole time I thought it had to be on the boxes I was monitoring. I didn't even have access to the servers, but once I got it, I ran  winrm set winrm/config/client @'{TrustedHosts=*}' on the SW app server and polling engines and the checks started to work.

View solution in original post

Your command did not work for me under Windows Server 2016.

I used instead the below:

winrm s winrm/config/client @{TrustedHosts="*"}

Seems obvious now I see it, was driving me crazy - I was able to test-WSman so all configured OK on the servers, the monitor worked fine on one poller, just not the new one, even running the script manually from the second poller to the servers worked fine so I just couldn't see where it was failing... now I know it was the reply failing to get through to the poller - doh! Thanks jdbvalley

0 Kudos

Had to modify the command slightly to get it to work, but this fixed my issue.

winrm s winrm/config/client '@{TrustedHosts="*"}'

@mprobus  Your version of the command works for me to.  Better answer!

0 Kudos
Level 14

Start by having a look in C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\Logs\APM (adjust to suit your environment), test the script out from the application edit page, and then sort that folder by date.

There will be a couple of log files, SolarWinds.APM_PRobes_[xyz].log (no doubt at the top), where you find reference by the server (you are trying to polls IP) with the error messages.

No doubt this will lead to "See the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/hh847850.aspx)".

Hopefully this will let you see what/why things are failing.

Good luck.

Hey, thanks for the info. I didn't know about the logs! I'm getting somewhere but nowhere at the same time Hopefully I'll get this worked out soon.

0 Kudos