This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Powershell monitor

Hello,

I'm having issue with a simple script to monitor expiration of certificates on our NPS servers.

I wrote a simple script:

$certident=(Get-ItemProperty -Path Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\AzureMFA).CLIENT_CERT_IDENTIFIER

Set-Location cert:\LocalMachine\My

$certs=(Get-ChildItem | ? Subject -eq $certident).Thumbprint

$date=get-date

$date_30=$date.AddDays(30)

foreach ($cert in $certs) {

$expiration=(Get-Item cert:\LocalMachine\My\$cert).NotAfter

if ($date_30 -ge $expiration) {

$stat1=0

}

else {

$stat1=1

}

}

if ($stat1 -eq 0) {

$mon_result = "Expiring"

}

else {

$mon_result = "Valid"

}

Write-Host "Statistic.Name1: $stat1";

Write-Host "Message.Name1: Monitoring result: $mon_result"

Whenever I run a test in SolarWinds I get the following error:

pastedImage_0.png

I have verified that $stat1 is of Int32 type so there shouldn't be any problem with Not being A Number. I'm pretty sure that I'm missing something simple but it's Friday and I'm probably not thinking straight.

Maybe someone will be able to point me where I'm making the mistake.

• It all looks good. Try dropping $stat1 outside your write-host string. Also, have you done any debugging to confirm that the stat variable is always either a 0 or a 1?

jpaluch  wrote:

Write-Host "Statistic.Name1: $stat1";

Changed to:

Write-Host "Statistic.Name1: "$stat1

• Thanks for the reply.

I tried debugging and $stat1 is always 1 or 0. When I run the script on server directly then output is displayed properly. The issue only happens when it's run in SolarWinds script editor.

I also tried declaring $stat1 before foreach and whenever I do that it looks like SolarWinds is skiping/not processing the if statement (when I set it to 1 then it always returns 1, etc.):

pastedImage_0.png

• I don't see any problems with your script. That leaves me with one or two theories about the script editor not actually running this [properly] against the remote machine specified in your test.

It could be that the script editor is (for some reason) running the code locally and not finding a certificate thumbprint in the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AzureMFA registry key on your Orion server. That would result in an empty array of $certs, an empty foreach loop, and the if statement never being evaluated.

Try adding $certident to your message output line:

Write-Host "Message.Name1: Monitoring result: $mon_result. Thumbprint is $certident."

• Your answer just gave me an idea. I was running this under Local Host execution mode (for some reason I thought it will run locally on the server where the template is assigned). I have changed it to Remote Host and now is working. Thanks a lot.

• Glad to hear it! PowerShell actions and monitors in Orion still make me dizzy when I try to make a new one!