This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Please enhance the HTTP Form Login template

FormerMember
FormerMember

HTTP Form Login is incapable of performing a basic log in function by today's standard.  You can do a very basic log in but most web sites have moved past these fundamentals.   We have hundreds of web site monitors that need to be migrated from our current solution to SAM.  SAM is where I would like to put them and quite honestly were they belong. The monitors require only that they log in and match content.  Our current tool has performed this flawlessly for the past 8 years with minimal config.  After several tickets we have confirmed [with the help of SW staff] that the HTTP Form Login template is not capable of doing anything beyond a primitive log in. 

We have been told time and time again that the solution for this is SEUM.  Even though we own an unlimited license for SEUM I find this to be disappointing at minimum.  One, SEUM is absolute overkill for this type of monitor. We think that placing these monitors in SEUM is wasting resources on multiple levels.  Two, if I was a customer of yours and only owned SAM it would shock me that you guys don't have a canned [beyond basic] HTTP Login monitor.  Here is the last case we had open regarding this monitor type , 367532 - HTTP Form Login inconsistencies.   Thanks for any consideration.

• Have you tried using the http user experience monitor?  It gives you the function to search for text after credentials are passed to a website.

• I think the issue encountered is that he needs to verify that users are able to successfully authenticate to the web application using form-like authentication. The problem is that the HTTP User Experience monitor only supports basic HTTP forms. The most common issue customers encounter with the HTTP Form Login Monitor is that it doesn't support JavaScript. Another issue is that it doesn't support cookies. Less common, but still an issue that some customers encounter are applications that require Java, Flash, or Silverlight for authentication. In order to support the wide array of different web based technologies being used by customer applications we created Synthetic End User Monitor. Our goal with this product was to support all of these different web technologies and extend the capabilities far beyond simple Form Login Monitors to address the need to monitor much more complex web transactions.

SeUM still remains SolarWinds recommended solution for this use case today, and in the immediate future. But I recommend opening a feature request under the Ideas section so other customers can vote this idea up or down, as well as provide feedback.