cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

PURE Array Monitoring

Has anyone successfully connected SolarWinds Orion to the PURE system via SNMP for monitoring and/or a different protocol?

Orion support stated even though SNMPWalk successfully pulls in these OID's from the PURE:

.1.3.6.1.4.1.40482.4.1.0 = INTEGER: 101379089
.1.3.6.1.4.1.40482.4.2.0 = INTEGER: 35140454
.1.3.6.1.4.1.40482.4.3.0 = INTEGER: 867
.1.3.6.1.4.1.40482.4.4.0 = INTEGER: 1679
.1.3.6.1.4.1.40482.4.5.0 = INTEGER: 664
.1.3.6.1.4.1.40482.4.6.0 = INTEGER: 426
.1.3.6.1.4.1.40482.4.6.0 = No more variables left in this MIB View (It is past the end of the MIB tree)

...they stated these OID's mean nothing to them and the Orion GUI fails to connect and to contact PURE support.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Level 12

Strangely enough when using V3 and hitting the managment VIP it would work one time then fail all subsequent times.  So just by happen chance I used the IP of the management IP of a single array and NOT the VIP and it works each and every time now....go figure.

0 Kudos
Level 12

Do you have the latest version of SRM or Storage Resource Monitor as it supports Pure.  If you are only using NPM then I may be help you as I have a pure appliance in my environment.

Level 8

Unfortunately, we do not have NPM or SRM as part of our SolarWinds installation. We have SAM, VMAN, IPAM, and MobileAdmin only. My only course of action at this point as i see it would be to implement a Kiwi or other syslog server and forward the events to SolarWinds for alerting. Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos

It can be scripted, but it will take effort. I would say that you can get the health, but it will be hard to really get useful performance stats.

Take a look at these two links:
     https://blog.purestorage.com/pure-storage-smi-s-provider-overview-2/
     Pure Storage SMI-S Provider Overview | PS /8arkz>_

That said, and I know that SRM isn't the cheapest offering, but each of our array's is not too many disks that need a licnese, I think we max at 20 disks in an array. Its much cheaper to watch an all flash array then the older spinning disk array's. Here's what one of my pure summaries look like:

pastedImage_2.png

The advantage though is actually the VMan integration, where you can show from the top down everything that impacts that node, right into the storage.
pastedImage_3.png

Level 12

I want the interface metrics though polled via snmp and when trying to use v3 it works one time and then fails all subsequent times after that until I go back into the pure array and edit the localhost manager again.  i don't change anything...i just click Save.  It works once again then then fails each time after.

0 Kudos

it could be that "save" cycles the SNMP service to apply any potential changes. You could try to open a ticket (with Pure) to see if they have a fix for SNMP not responding/crashing.

0 Kudos
Level 12

I am currently working the ticket with them now but its taking some time to get a resolution. I wish SRM would poll the interfaces of the array as well.

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

cfizz34  wrote:

I am currently working the ticket with them now but its taking some time to get a resolution. I wish SRM would poll the interfaces of the array as well.

Do you happen to know if there is a REST API for the array that would give you the information rather than through SNMP?

0 Kudos

There is: https://blog.purestorage.com/try-the-rest-api-using-a-rest-client/
I think the support docs on it require an account.

0 Kudos

SRM is the way to go since it talks to the Pure API.

Level 8

Pure storage arrays MIB only provides OIDs for 3 metrics (bandwidth, IOPS, and latency). Each one has a read and write value, so there's only 6 values.

Level 7

I too have the same problem.

People have suggested NPM 12 grants that functionality. So lining myself for the upgrade. Once done will keep you posted.

0 Kudos