cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O365 /Azure Monitoring

Jump to solution

Does Solarwinds have a FULL set of instructions on how to setup O365 monitoring?  I have found like 10-20 articles that all have bits and pieces but can't find anything that goes through what you actually need to run through to get this up and running.  Thanks!

18 Replies
silverbacksays
Level 16

Re: O365 /Azure Monitoring

Jump to solution

Hey martian monster

Take a look at the SAM template reference for the Office 365 templates currently available:

Microsoft Office 365

The various pages here will help you get on the right track!

Highlighted

Jump to solution

What I can't figure out is how to get the data from O365 > SW Util server to run PS queries > Orion.  I seem to be missing that part in any of the documentation.  I started with this article and set things up to run PS queries - Success Center and can connect and test but I have no idea how we get the data from O365 to Orion.  I looked at this article as well - Working with Office 365 via PowerShell  but nothing I found yet explains how the data gets from O365 to Orion.  I am probably missing something super simple here...

0 Kudos
cmazko
Level 11

Jump to solution

Hi, martian monster​. Are you using one of the new templates included in SAM 6.9?

Those templates have different prerequisites than the earlier Office 365 templates. (I'll update the older Success Center article you referenced.)

For example, here are the prerequisites for Microsoft Office 365 OneDrive template:

• The PSMSGraph PowerShell module is installed and the Client is configured in Azure AD. See Integrate Office 365 templates with Microsoft Graph.
  • When you configure the PSMSGraph PowerShell module for Microsoft Graph, collect the following values to pass as arguments to monitors in the following format/precedence:
    client_id=<Value>, TenantID=<Value>, client_secret=<Value>

I noticed that the Microsoft Azure link is missing in the SAM Template Reference TOC so I'll update that also.

cmazko
Level 11

Jump to solution

martian monster​ Please also check out MONITORING AZURE PAAS WITH SOLARWINDS SERVER &amp; APPLICATION MONITOR​, a blog post from 2018 when those templates were first posted on THWACK to glean customer feedback.

Jump to solution

Thanks!  I will have a look at both of these and see where I get. 

cmazko
Level 11

Jump to solution

martian monster​ I updated the SAM docs to restore the Microsoft Azure template topic in the SAM Template Reference. I also revised prerequisites in the individual Azure template topics to more closely align with the Azure PAAS blog post from 2018. For good measure, I updated the Using Microsoft Office 365 templates KBs to clarify that they relate to the older Office 365 templates, not the Office 365 templates released in SAM 6.9 that integrate with MS Graph to pull data into SAM. Thanks for bringing these issues to our attention.

Jump to solution

Thank you!  I will be working on this next week and let you know how it goes!!

Jump to solution

I setup a Solarwinds Utility node and followed this to setup on it so it could talk to O365/Azure - Success Center

After reading through the above documentation I setup api.admin.microsoftonline.com as my external node. 

I tried running the Licensing SAM module against the API and it did not work. I am assuming it is because I did not set this up on my Orion server - Success Center

I then added the SAM licensing module to the Solarwinds Utility node and assigned the O365 credentials to the module and BOOM. I was able to get licensing statistics.  Yaay!!   I am working on setting up Microsoft Graph which I think I need for the rest of the monitoring.  So far so good...

Jump to solution

cmazko​ So the light bulb turned on a bit this morning after talking to support for a bit.  I was looking at all things O365/Azure monitoring and was trying to do everything at once - monitoring, Microsoft Graph, and the application.  I now have a good grasp on this - start with the SAM monitoring get that setup and rolling and go from there.  Once I get this done and setup I am going to write something for an overview of how to set this up and to start simple and get it working before you try to do all things O365/Azure.