cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

Number of monitors SAM

Jump to solution

What is the approximate amount of application monitors that a server's SAM or a polling engine supports?
You can have as many templates of applications you want, since the number of monitored components does not exceed the license limit.
But in the case of an unlimited license?

1 Solution
Level 10

You can have as many templates of applications you want, since the number of monitored components does not exceed the license limit.

In the case of a license ALX

Maximum of 50k component monitors per primary SolarWinds SAM installation (i.e. 1 SAM server + 4 APEs).
~ 8-10k monitors polling engine

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Level 11

What is the best way to get the current number of "components" a polling engine is monitoring?  I'm currently evaluating whether or not I need an additional polling engine and I haven't found a good way to report on this data. 

Right now I have a polling engine reporting 89% SAM polling. 

From the Polling Engines tab I don't see any mention of "components".  Its all referencing elements. 

I've found a few SQL queries that different people have wrote as well but again, not sure which one to rely on.

Help!

Sam components are kinda like elements in NPM.  Each application template is made up of a number of them.  There a Orion Polling Engine Status in the content exchange that will break this out for you: https://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-168997

The following report should provide the information you're looking for.

Orion Polling Engine Load

I think I'm actually using this one actually... they are similar.

Thanks.  Found this report soon after posting!  Very helpful.  It should really be a canned report from the get go since the SAM Components number is nowhere to be found.

Level 10

In the case of a license ALX

Maximum of 50k component monitors per primary SolarWinds SAM installation (i.e. 1 SAM server + 4 APEs).
~ 8-10k monitors polling engine

View solution in original post

SW, based on the way the polling engines stats sheets are broken out, is this in addition to other "module" polling capabilities?

so could I have 7k element monitors giving me 70% "polling rate" PLUS 7k SAM component monitors for 70%  "SAM Application Polling Rate"..etc...?

Correct. You should have no problem monitoring 7k NPM elements in addition to 7k SAM components with the same poller, provided the server is sized appropriately for an SLX/ALX. Server sizing recommendations are included in each respective products Administrators Guide.