This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Next APM Service Pack?

FormerMember
FormerMember

Any ideas on a release date? Thanks,

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

I seriously doubt there will be another APM service pack before the next release.  We're in Beta for APM 2.5. 

You should sign up for the Beta. 

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Is there any documentation for v2.5 of APM? Any big changes or requirements needed for it? We are currently running NPM 9.1 SP3 and APM 2.0 SP2. Thanks,

• FormerMember

It requires NPM 9.1 SP3.  I'm not ready to share the feature list openly, but if you sign up for the beta, you can see the list. 

• Denny,

One of the things that I find missing as a SW customer is having access to the product roadmap sometimes available through NDA through some of my other product vendors. There are many of us who have been SW champions for a number of years who may have been requesting enhancments/features for a number of years who have no insight as to when these features will be made available if ever.

I realise that people signing up for the beta will have access to more information and that is fine however there are many of us that dont have the time to be involved in the beta but would still like to know what is coming or have to look forward to.

As posted in an earlier post last year, I see the benefit to customers to having an area of Thwack which lists in a sensible manner all the feature requests people have submitted. This at least helps people see how they are influencing the development.

For Example:

APM: Integration into Map Maker             Votes: 9888                 SW Comment: Investigated-Extremely Complex-Possible Future Release

NPM: Map Objects Grouping                     Votes: 1131                 SW Comment: Investigated-Next Release

NPM: Makes cups of coffee                       Votes:       2                 SW Comment: Investigated-Never

One thing that is sometimes difficult for a customer to understand is why the decisions have been made. For example why wasnt integration into map maker added into the release of APM2.0 surely if NPM can do it APM should do it. I know there are advantages and disadvantages from to much customer involvement as it might dilute the product or extend development but i thought i would just throw it out there.

:-)

Kind Regards

Miron

• FormerMember

Denny can you release an estimated release date?

• FormerMember

Denny can you release an estimated release date?

It's not just me being coy.  I really can't say for a whole bunch of reasons related to auditors and the SEC.  

What can i say?  ...we're in Beta, so very soon...

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Miron

One of the things that I find missing as a SW customer is having access to the product roadmap sometimes available through NDA through some of my other product vendors.

We don't share this way for a reason.  Part of how SolarWinds can be offer cheap and cheerful enteprise software is that we keep things very flexible on the engineering front.  If we start presenting that kind of roadmap (and I've done it in previous companies), we lose that flexibility, and it inevitably will result in longer releases.

In the end, we are committed to delivering software differently than the expensive, slow-moving enterprise software vendors, and our approach to roadmaps  is one consequence of that commitment.

• Denny,

Fair enough mate, and by all means please dont think that I m suggesting altering the way you work (why change what works well presently). If your deploying a more flexible design approach thats great.

Its just nice (not trying to speak for the community)  to have an idea of what is important to the members and in turn what is high priority or feasible for SW to deliver.

I suppose its the eternal struggle. You deliver a great solution so people expectations increase:-)

Kind Regards

Miron

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Miron

Dawn and the Thwack team are thinking of some ways to let users vote on features.