This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Network Sonar Discovery - Exclude Devices

We have multiple locations and configure each location to be on a weekly discovery schedule. Every job is configured to scan a dedicated subnet that we have defined for non-client machines. Our smaller sites use that same range for other devices like UPS, network switches, etcs. The issue that we are having is, the auto-discovery scans everything within that subnet. Devices that do not SNMP setup, Solarwinds tries to scan it, and because of access limitation the devices that it is trying to scan sends out emails for unauthorized access every time the scan runs. We added those devices to the Ignore list, but it looks like all it is doing is stopping the devices from showing up in the import list. In some cases we are able setup SNMP credentials, but there are cases where it is not possible.

Is there a way for SolarWinds to not scan IPs that we have defined during discovery?

• Only way would be to change the way you have your discovery set up, instead of doing it by the whole subnet do it by ip range and skip the IP you don't want it to hit.  Very tedious, but the tool only does what you tell it to do.  You could also just fix the devices themselves to either allow solarwinds to query them, or to not trigger their alerts when they get scanned.

• That is what I was afraid of. We have many locations and doing it by subnet helps prevents human error and/or missing devices. Thanks.

• One method would be to go to Manage Nodes, sort by Machine Type, and delete the nodes marked as workstations.  Then, run the Network Sonar Discovery again.  Once it completes, go to the Scheduled Discovery Results for the discovery and, once again, sort by Machine Type.  Select all of the workstations and click Add to Ignore List.  Lastly, return to Manage Nodes, sort by Machine Type, and delete the nodes marked as workstations.  The discovery will now ignore these devices in the future.

I wish that there was a way to do a global ignore by Machine Type, but you have to let the nodes be discovered before you can ignore them.  My discoveries run nightly so, when I find workstations, I delete them and add a reminder to my calendar for the following day to add them to the ignore list.

Hope this helps someone!