This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Needing all the conditions in order to trigger an alert

I have a situation where I am befuddled and confused.. by..

I have create an template. that has a file age, and a file count monitor. (both are standard orion monitors)

I wanted to create an alert based on a a file being xx hours hold and have at least NN files in the directory.

when i created the alert it will not trigger.. i was told by a support that orion has bug that will not allow us to monitor two components with both or ALL being in the primary condition..

ie ;

Trigger the alert when ALL the following applly

Trigger the alert when ALL the following applly
          Component name = file age
          Component status = Warning

Trigger the alert when ALL the following apply
          component name = file count
         component status = warning

I can see on the nodes page where both the age and the count components are in warming state and the alert will not kick off.

I was told this is because of teh top trigger beign set to all.. is this true.. Orion cant do a basic.. double lookup?

any help?

A Confused John

• If you think it through logically, it makes sense as to why. Remember that the alert is compared against all application components. Taking your example, no single application component will ever be labelled both "file age" and "file count".

Thinking it over another way, your trigger condition is logically equal to the following:

Component status = Warning

Component name = file age
    Component name = file count

You might have better luck if you create a group consisting of these components, making sure to set the status rollup mode to Show best status. Then you can create your alert based on the group status.

• what type group are you talking about .. i am not following..

• I didn't know there was more than one group feature but I'm referring to the Manage Groups feature found in the Node & Group Management section of the admin console. Hope that clears it up.

• THANK YOU.. I learned serveral things..

(I didnt know we could use group like this.. )

the role-up. and the new way to check monitors.. great advice.. thanks..

ignorance is not bliss.. more like a blister on the seat ...