This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Need help setting up alerts for SMTP Connectivity

Hi folks,

Very new with SAM here, so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place, or if this seems like a dumb question.

I'm looking for help setting up an email alert if SMTP on one of our 4 Exchange CAS boxes stops responding on Port 25. I have the Generic Mail Server template applied to our CAS servers. I have no idea where to start on how to set up the trigger conditions / trigger actions. I ONLY want to monitor SMTP at this point, and to get a good idea on how monitoring is structured.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

-Brandon Carder

• You just need to add a TCP Port Monitor component to your existing template or use a second template with that component. I threw together a quick template for an example. You can search for “SMTP Port 25 Monitor” on the "Shared Templates on thwack" tab to find it. (Really simple one component template built just for this example)

If you want to add it to a new or existing template: Edit the application monitor, click add component monitor, browse through the list to find “TCP Port Monitor” , check it and hit Ok. Then update the port to 25 (It will default to 80). Set your test node as one of the exchange systems and hit test to make sure it’s working.

The polling is going to be wherever your existing is set (Since that affects all components in a template) so if you want a more frequent poll you may want to use a separate template for this. The thresholds are pretty arbitrary since if Port25 quits accepting traffic you won’t be worrying about ms responses.

For alarms you just configure when this template is in critical and then do whatever it is you want, alert email, etc.

While this does give you assurance that the server(s) have port 25 open and it’s available, it doesn’t tell you much more than that. It’s not going to tell you when an upstream firewall blocks port 25 traffic for instance. So as a metric this is fairly limited, but depending on your environment your mileage may vary.