This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Need help getting File Count monitor to work

I've added a Windows 2008 server as a node on our NPM. I'm trying to the File Count monitor to work to watch the number of files in a specific directory. It seemed to work OK until I changed the path from the default. It's currently giving me a "quota violation" error. All other stats for the server seem to be collected just fine. How can I get this working?

• What is the path specified in the File Count monitor? If it contains spaces, have you tried wrapping the full path in quotes or using the short path instead? E.G. instead of "C:\Program Files\" try "C:\Progra~1".

• Hello,

Could you please add screenshot of the error or exact error message? I think that you mean following WMI Error: 0x8004106C Description: Quota violation, while running WMI queries. We internally get the data using WMI from CIM_DataFile class. As this class contains a lot of data it is possible that running query consumes a lot of memory on WMI process. If you running Orion on Windows 2013 then you can try to increase memory quota according to Microsoft article.

Lukas Belza (SolarWinds development)

• Through some experimentation, it looks like it's trying to work now. It's taking a really long time though and usually timing out if I try testing against the directory we're interested in.

This directory normally has tens of thousands of files in it. The monitor appears to be looping through an enumeration of the directory counting up files, which seems kind of inefficient to do every 2 minutes.

I was hoping for a monitor which could read the file count out of the directory structure (this directory just has a large group of xml files, plus an index file... don't really need to search for certain file extensions). Is there something to do this more quickly? How about if we try SNMP? Does SNMP have something like that?

• SNMP has no method for collecting any information pertaining to the files on the file system. As stated, the problem appears to be the number of files contained within the directory that is causing memory exhaustion. Instead of the File Count Monitor, which relies on WMI, you may want to try writing a PowerShell script that performs the same function over WinRM.