This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Need a WMI advice: Windows PowerShell WMI WIN32_Service not returning all services

Hello, guys. I have the same issue as in this old MS topic and as this reddit thread, but solution from MS forum - sc sdset scmanager (A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;<USERSID>) didn't work for me - issue still exists. And reddit thread was closed without solving.

So the problem is: with local admin rights I got all 200+ services from the remote server, but admin rights is not okay due to our political reasons. So when I try to perform win32_service wmi-request without admin rights, I got only 75 services (from the same remote server).

User has local admin rights:
PS C:\> (Get-WmiObject -Class win32_service -computer "server"  | format-table Name).count

And without them:
PS C:\> (Get-WmiObject -Class win32_service -computer "server"  | format-table Name).count

Maybe now there is other SDDL options I should set? I use Windows 2019 Server.
Thank you in advance, I'm really stuck with that! 

• Couple of thoughts/questions to consider.

The thread "Has anybody ever gotten WMI to work without admin credentials" has several solutions that do work. SolarWinds has a document somewhere.

InfraSight Labs has a relevant guide for how to do this as well (link taken from the above thread). Let us know here if you have any questions about implementing a specific step.

And finally: try using the newer Get-CIM* cmdlets. You may still get the same results, but in the future, it's what Microsoft is maintaining. Example: 

Get-CimInstance -ClassName Win32_Service -ComputerName localhost

UPDATE: Here's the link to SW's knowledge base document [How to create a non-administrator user for SAM polling], but it only describes how to implement the steps manually on one server. The link from InfraSight Labs above is more useful in a managed environment.

• Hi sturdyerde and thank you for answer.

Yes, I know about all these guides and I read it carefully. Also I just check InfraSight's manual and I have the same user settings, also I tried to configure UAC and even totally disable it.
    Unfortunately, issue is still exist. That's why I think there must be some special SDDL permission which I missed.