This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Multi Chart Error (**SOLVED in SAM 6.2**)

EDIT:  As Alterego predicted, this issue was corrected in SAM 6.2.  Now if the NPM team would take this chart style and allow us to assign any object statistic to it instead of just Application Component statistics.  Imagine a Multi Chart with all the WAN interfaces for all of a companies sites in one tiny little Multi Chart that you could put on a custom Summary view.  As it is now if you want a chart of certain interfaces you have to either cram them all onto one big chart, which looks all messy, or put a bunch of charts on a view.  You could barely fit 4 to 6 charts on a page without having to scroll.  This needs to be available as a Custom Object Resource and allow us to assign any statistic from any part of Orion to it and let us put it on any view we want. 

I've had this issue with trying to save the Multi Chart after configuring it for some time now, but never really pursued fixing it.  According to this post:  Is it possible to build a multiple component view, similar to what is shown in AppInsight?  "SAM's Multi Chart resource can be used on any Application Details view."  However, every time I've tried to add it and configure it on an Application Details view (other than an AppInsight or Exchange View) I am able to add the resource fine, but after clicking on "Configure This Resource", then selecting the Component Monitors I want to display inside of it, and then clicking "Submit", I get "Unexpected Website Error" with the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error.

pastedImage_5.png

Here is the trace from the Error Report:

Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

ErrorSite: App_Web.Orion_APM_Controls_Charts_EditMultiChart.SaveProperties

ErrorType: System.NullReferenceException

Stack:

at Orion_APM_Controls_Charts_EditMultiChart.SaveProperties(Dictionary`2 properties)

at Orion_NetPerfMon_Controls_EditResourceControls_EditChart.get_Properties()

at Orion_Charts_EditChartResource.SubmitClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)

at System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)

at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)

at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

If you look at user Bronx's reply right below this link in that Discussion: Re: Is it possible to build a multiple component view, similar to what is shown in AppInsight? he pasted in an excerpt from the SAM Admin Guide that is supposed to give step-by-step instructions on how to add the Multi Chart (it is even titled "Multi Chart").  However, if you read the instructions it says to search in the Add Resources section for "Multi Chart", but then it tells you to select the "Multiple Statistics Chart".  Those are two different things.  The Multiple Statistics Chart is for components that return multiple statistics.  The Multi Chart is for charting multiple component monitors' statistics (It was a Typo I assume because it correctly says Multi Chart in the current Admin Guide).  Anyways, no matter which one I choose I get the same error.

Now normally I would just open a case with support, but I have had this happen in probably 5 to 6 different Orion environments over the last year and a half and have never gotten it to work.  It is always the same error no matter what.  I have access to two separate Orion installations right now for two different companies and both exhibit the same behavior.  Searching Thwack and the Web I can't find anyone else having this issue.  Am I missing something super obvious or has nobody else pursued fixing it yet like I hadn't up until now?

Thanks,

Jordan

• Yes that would be a typo. Bronx will assuredly correct that mistake in the next revision of the SAM Administrators Guide. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

As for the error you are receiving, this is actually a known bug introduced in SAM 6.1.1 and resolved in the SAM 6.2 release currently in beta. If you open a case with support, please ask your support rep to reference FB367453. They should be able to provide you a buddy drop that addresses this issue in SAM 6.1.1.

• Great, thanks!  At least I know I wasn't mis-configuring something wrong all this time! emoticons_happy.png  I searched everywhere trying to find other posts with the same issue and couldn't find it.  You said it is a known bug, is there somewhere that known bugs are kept that I could have searched and found this issue, or is it just something you guys track internally?

Also, I put it in my post, but the typo with Multi Chart and Multiple Statistics Chart seems to have already been corrected in the current version of the Admin guide, so you all are good to go on that front!

Thanks again for all that you do and your always oh so prompt responses!  Keep up the great work.

• Happy to help. As for "known issue", it's been reported once before, so not well known. emoticons_happy.png The only way you would have learned that this was a bug would have been to post here as you did, or open a case with support. Since it's only been reported once before it's very unlikely support is even aware this issue exists, which is why I gave you the number this is being tracked under internally. It should help expedite the process of getting you fixed significantly. emoticons_cool.png