This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitoring a specific user login

We have an Autocad server that needs to remain logged in with an autocad service account and the application owner would like to know if Solarwinds is capable of monitoring such an event.  I have searched for hours on any information regarding this and have come up empty. So my question is can I monitor or alert an application owner when a user account is no longer logged into a particular server?  Thank you for any and all help!!

• The user must be logged into the system likely because the application must be run in a foreground desktop session, rather than as a background service. In that case it's best to monitor the application processes itself, since they will only be running when the user is logged into the system and the application is running. The advantage to this method over simply monitoring if the user is logged in, is someone could always close the application but not log out. The method assures that not only is the user logged in, but that the application is running as well.

I would recommend using the Real-Time Process Explorer to select the processes associated with the application, then begin monitoring those by clicking the "Start Monitoring" button and walking through the wizard to create and assign an application template to that node.

• Thanks aLTeReGo!  I knew you'd know the right thing to do... I will run this by the application owner and explain the pros of monitoring the application processes as you explained.  Thanks again!

• I agree with you that the app owner would benefit more from monitoring the application itself but so that I have the overall big picture... is it possible for Solarwinds to monitor and/or alert on if a user is logged into a server?  Thanks again for all your time and help.

• It is possible, though this would need to be done via custom script since this information is not easily queryable because it must be correlated across multiple WMI classes. Below are some examples that you can use to get you started. It's important to note that there are always many logged in sessions for various system accounts, so you will want to filter based on the LogonType = 2, which means interactive session. If you need assistance creating such a script I recommend posting to the Script Lab where the community script gurus commonly frequent.