cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

Monitoring Linux (CentOS) node using SAM

Hi All,

What's the best practice of monitoring the Linux VM (CentOS)?

Because the root account is created using different password in each of the Linux VM, and the security team dictates for the Principal of Least amount of Privilege when creating the service account.

This can be easily done in Windows, but not sure how to monitor or add Linux servers.

Thanks,

6 Replies

After deploying the agent to a server, you would still need to create component monitors (typically as part of an application monitoring template) that define which processes, services, etc you want to monitor on the node. Each of your component monitors is where the SAM licenses would come into play, unless you are using Solarwinds' newer node-based SAM licensing.

Level 16

@neomatrix1217do I have to install the Solarwinds Linux agent to avoid creating Service account in each of the Linux system?

I assume, there is no need to use SAM Licensed Component Monitors license with the above approach.

0 Kudos

Hi,

using those instructions you can pull the agent from the solarwinds repo. it will ask for root access when doing the isntall and thena s part of that install a service account for the agent.

so as long as your account or another has root access on the server in question you can use that. this can then be put into a mass deployment tool for deployment across your server estate if needed.

OK, so in this case:
Using the Linux Agent: It is free monitoring a part of the SAM license.

Using VMAN: it is also free as part of the VM monitoring license.

Using SAM Application Monitor requires AL license to be consumed.

Exactly, thats my understanding of it.

If you use the linux agent it is free as part of SAM and can monitor volumes, CPU memory up/down etc. as soon as you build an application template ad deploy to a server it will consume SAM licence.

0 Kudos