This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitoring Docker: problems deploying agent to containers

Cross posting this case here because SW support has been unable to provide a timely or helpful response to my team over the past few weeks. It could be that our environment is unique. Have any of you run into similar roadblocks with deploying the SW agent to docker containers? (Below is quoted/paraphrased from our support case.) Any tips or suggestions are welcome! cc:ljmckarns

I've been following this guide (http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/en/flarehelp/orionplatform/content/core-container-add-container-service.htm) to add our swarm instance to Orion SAM, and have been unsuccessful. After customizing the cman-swarm.yml generated to match our environment (networks and access to the docker socket), I was only able to get the stack to start after removing the following lines:

depends_on:

- scope2orion

But, without these lines in, it does not seem to be communicating back to Orion. I've not seen any reference to what this dependency is in the documentation, or how to fulfill it.

System details:

# docker version

Client:

Version: 17.12.1-ce

API version: 1.35

Go version: go1.9.4

Git commit: 7390fc6

Built: Tue Feb 27 22:17:40 2018

OS/Arch: linux/amd64

Server:

Engine:

API version: 1.35 (minimum version 1.12)

Built: Tue Feb 27 22:16:13 2018

Experimental: false

Please let me know if I can provide additional information to assist in troubleshooting this issue.

I’m using the stack file as generated by Orion when adding a container service (Settings > All Settings > Manage container services > Add), only changing a few settings to match our internal customizations. [...] Also, I apologize if my question was unclear, its not “depends on” that I’m unclear on, but rather how its being used here. There’s a dependency listed (scope2orion) that isn’t being started by the stack file, nor is it mentioned anywhere in the “Add a container service” documentation I’ve found.  The only reference I’ve see to this name at all has been here: https://hub.docker.com/r/derhally/scope2orion, but no indication that this is an officially supported Solarwinds container, nor that it needs to be running prior to the monitor or aggregator containers. [...]

• sturdyerde  wrote:

Cross posting this case here because SW support has been unable to provide a timely or helpful response to my team over the past few weeks. It could be that our environment is unique. Have any of you run into similar roadblocks with deploying the SW agent to docker containers? (Below is quoted/paraphrased from our support case.) Any tips or suggestions are welcome! cc:ljmckarns

I've been following this guide (http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/en/flarehelp/orionplatform/content/core-container-add-container-service.htm) to add our swarm instance to Orion SAM, and have been unsuccessful. After customizing the cman-swarm.yml generated to match our environment (networks and access to the docker socket), I was only able to get the stack to start after removing the following lines:

depends_on:

- scope2orion

But, without these lines in, it does not seem to be communicating back to Orion. I've not seen any reference to what this dependency is in the documentation, or how to fulfill it.

System details:

# docker version

Client:

API version: 1.35

Built: Tue Feb 27 22:17:40 2018

Server:

Engine:

API version: 1.35 (minimum version 1.12)

Built: Tue Feb 27 22:16:13 2018

Experimental: false

Please let me know if I can provide additional information to assist in troubleshooting this issue.

I’m using the stack file as generated by Orion when adding a container service (Settings > All Settings > Manage container services > Add), only changing a few settings to match our internal customizations. [...] Also, I apologize if my question was unclear, its not “depends on” that I’m unclear on, but rather how its being used here. There’s a dependency listed (scope2orion) that isn’t being started by the stack file, nor is it mentioned anywhere in the “Add a container service” documentation I’ve found.  The only reference I’ve see to this name at all has been here: https://hub.docker.com/r/derhally/scope2orion, but no indication that this is an officially supported Solarwinds container, nor that it needs to be running prior to the monitor or aggregator containers. [...]

Hi Sam!

I checked in with the team and they asked to confirm with you if you've added your user to the docker group?

if not run

sudo usermod -a -G docker $USER

• Thanks for checking, serena​! My Docker engineer here responded that he is using 'root' which should eliminate any questions/problems with permissions.