This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitor email inbox

FormerMember
FormerMember

Is there a way to monitor the inbox of an email for a specific string in the subject and alert if a message is not received in a configurable timeframe?

Note that I do not have snmp or WMI access to the email server.

• It sounds like what you're looking for is our POP3, IMAP4, or MAPI user experience monitors.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to aLTeReGo

When I looked at those templates it looks like you have to have access to the mail server.  I need to check that a message exists every set amount of time.  If it does, then delete (or move) it.  If it does not exist, then send an alert.

If these templates can do that, please let me know how.

• Some access to the mail server is required for any type of email monitoring. The component monitors I referenced work by sending an email to the mail server via SMTP, ensuring it was properly delivered using the selected protocol (POP3/IMAP4/MAPI) and deleting the message. If the email that was sent does not appear in the designated mailbox then alert is triggered.

• If the monitors that alterego linked don't work you could try something like a trigger in the mailbox that writes to a log file on another server that you do have access to then have Solarwinds read that log file.  I know its very roundabout, but if your admins won't give Solarwinds access to the server you'll have to get creative.

What is the purpose of the monitor?  Maybe the folks here can help you figure out a better way to monitor whatever it is you are trying to monitor.

• Anyone found a solution?

I too am looking for a Inbox monitor. In my case, I need to be alerted if an email exists. We have an automated process that retrieves any email and then processes them internally, but that automated process doesn't have a reliable monitor to let us know if it is having problems (or hasn't been) retrieving email.

• We have similar "unique" requirements for monitoring and often I find relying on the event log is a workable solution.  If the "automated process" is something you have control over - meaning it is a script or can be called by one and provide result codes - you can easily write to the Event log from most languages (or wrap it in VBscript).  If you are able to accomplish writing to the log, then you can use the Event Log monitor in SAM to look for the event to show up during the specified polling cycle of the component monitor.  If a match is found in a polling period, component is: (up / down) your choice.

So, polling is set to every 10 mins, process runs every 10 mins.  If the process is successful, write to the event log, if the event is found, then the component is UP. 

or

Polling is set to every 10 mins, process runs every 10 mins.  If the process is unsuccessful, write to the event log, if the event is found, then the component is DOWN.

Hope that helps!

• Google says that it hasn't been solved since 2012 :-(

I also need to monitor mailbox for given mails and convert them into alerts in SolarWinds because some of systems to be monitored logs errors only via e-mail: no SysLog, no Trap, no Event Log. Only email. So I got asked if I can in SolarWinds:

* receive mails with error reports and parse it (they contain JSON)

* monitor number of mails of specified type in given time (for example: one error per hour means invalid business data, 30 errors suggest application side problem).

• I am looking to do a similar thing with our backup software. I want Solarwinds to tell me when a backup fails and one of the techies here said why not get Solarwinds to read the info mails that the backup software sends to a mailbox. So i'm going to try this.

• So, I am not sure if it helps, since this is old, but i will say this

I have for a long time wanted to automate monitoring of my inbox.

I found out I CAN do it with outlook, and there are powershell commands you can use against the inbox.  I haven't worked it out yet, but I hope to write up a little script to keep my inbox cleanner

my 2cents