This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitor a database in SQL

Hi,

I am trying to monitor the up/down state of a database in MS SQL.  I think I have to use an SQL Server User Experience Monitor... but this requires an SQL Server Instance... which I do not need to monitor.

I think the database is the Initial Catalog.

So is this the correct application monior I should be using?

• Bellch,

You can use monitoring of your services to verify that the SQL server is up and 'should' be available but to be absolutely sure, the SQL UE monitor is your best option.  The SQL does not have to have a named instance configured.  You can point the UE monitor at the server and leave the instance name off.  It should establish the connection to the database/catalog and run the query you throw in there.  Typically, you can run some generic 'select top 2 * from tablename' type query so it's not taxing your system to much but still does the job. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks,
    Jason Henson
    Loop1 Systems
    www.Loop1Systems.com