cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Missing most of the SQL Server Components in APM

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have the following problem with the monitoring of an SQL server within APM.

I want to set up APM so that it is showing the size of database files and log files of the SQL server

I want to do this with the WMI Perfomance Counter Monitor (i'm sure I use the right wmi credentials). However, if I want to set up the server components to monitor

it returns only two SQL components that I can monitor (the SQL Server: SISS Pipeline and the SQL Server: SISS Service).

An other server works fine and shows a lot more (also the SQL Server: Databases component witch I need).

Can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong or need to do something om my SQL server first before I see these components?

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Kevin van Wingerden

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Resolved!

In my case the Service Pack level on the working box was 2 and this one was 1. Installed the latest SP and then ran winmgmt /resyncperf and then the missing PerfFormattedData counters appeared.

Hope someone finds this useful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Level 15

Hi,

I want to set up APM so that it is showing the size of database files and log files of the SQL server

Have you tried to use the File Size Monitor component? You can add one or more components of this type to monitor all the files of your database (mdf, ndf, ldf)

Here is its description:

HTH,

Yann
0 Kudos

Hi Yann,

I have tried to use the  File Size Monitoring. This is working but I would prefer to know why not all sql options appear

in APM when I want to use the WMI Monitoring. I think they are missing in APM because I can not access/read them with

WMI. Do you know a option to check if WMI is working fine?

Regards,

Kevin

0 Kudos

I usually use WMI Explorer to ensure credentials are working.

If you are not sure about the credentials, the doc team created a pdf that will guide through some troubleshooting steps:

http://www.solarwinds.com/support/apm/docs/APMWMITroubleshooting.pdf

Which error(s) do you get within APM itself for the SQL Components of your template?

Thanks,

Yann

0 Kudos

Did this ever get resolved?

I've got EXACTLY the same issue with only those 2 SQL counters showing and I've run WMIExplorer from the Solarwinds server and it can see all the missing counters.

We have another SQL box which Solarwinds can read the SQL counters fine, so it's only seemingly confined on this one box.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos

What is the error you are seeing on those SQL monitors?

0 Kudos

Hi,

I've managed to "fix" it but now I just need someone to explain why its the way it is and if I'm losing out now.

I used WMI Explorer which showed loads of stats but then this morning I noticed its not Formatted data but Raw Data.  When I changed the SQL string from the Perf one to the Raw one APM is now showing data.

Why is this the case and is there a way to change it?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Resolved!

In my case the Service Pack level on the working box was 2 and this one was 1. Installed the latest SP and then ran winmgmt /resyncperf and then the missing PerfFormattedData counters appeared.

Hope someone finds this useful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos