This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Linux agents without local account

Hello Experts,

We have a requirement where need to install the agent on windows and Linux servers. After install the agent, it should not use the local account to run the service.

As I understand, the agent running on windows uses local account to start, stop and other operational actitives, similarly the Linux system uses the service account which is created during the agent installation.

Can the linux agent run without local account, any alternate solution.Because the local account is not allowed to create in the environment.

Regards,

Senthil

• Could you expand on the reasoning for not using a local account?

I ask because everything in the linux environment runs as some kind of user, be it root or another account. The OS doesn't have the concept of not using an account.

• I too am curious what Directory Service are you trying to use? LDAP, NIS, etc?

• , Do we have any option to change the user, that Solarwind agent uses in linux server , By default Solarwinds agent creates a local user 'swiagent' , i have requirement to run solarwinds agent with a different user, predefined in AD .. i.e domain service account

• as the account is created by the installer it's probably not a good idea to use something different. The installer will also remove the account when the agent is removed.

Technically, linux will allow you to run any service using any account you wish to use - but you're into a manual process to maintain that config.
    So you could manually install the agent, then adjust your linux config to start the agent with the account you want to use. That process is highly dependent on the requirements of your linux distribution though. 

To help my understanding, is there a reason for needing to use an AD account rather than a local account? I've found that using remote accounts for linux services often causes more issues