This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Is there a way to tie security groups to custom properties for filtering purposes?

Hey everyone!

I'm finally sitting down to work on custom dashboards now that we have our agents mostly installed and our application monitors starting to be built.

We've implemented a process where every node, application, and transaction needs to have an "IT_Owner" category. These correspond to teams at our university, and each team has their own security group in Orion.

I'd like to set up a system where various things (alerts, visible groups, etc) display based on what team you are part of. The roughest way to do this would be a custom dashboard for every team. However, it would be much more elegant if we could have filters per IT_Owner, and then the system associates your login/team with the chosen custom property and defaults to displaying that.

Is this at all possible? I'm already looking at SWQL to facilitate filtered alert views, but I am worried that might be overkill - and might not even be able to detect the security context you are logged in with. Heck, I'm having trouble seeing if SWQL even supports commenting out lines!

• SWQL is extremely similar to SQL.  Lines are commented by a double dash "--"

-- This line would be commented out.

Now on to the bigger question.  When you say it should display just the team's stuff, there's two ways I could interpret that:

1. Teams are restricted to only seeing their own stuff (dynamic node group, alerts, etc).  Everything else in the environment is invisible.
    2. Teams' default view takes them to a page of just their own stuff.  They can see other teams' stuff by going to other views.

Option 1 is really easy.  You set a restriction on their security group to just their stuff.  I would suggest building a dynamic node group for each IT_Owner custom property, and then setting an Account Limitation on the security groups to just that node group.  Then you build one dashboard and each user sees the dashboard filtered through their group's account limitation.

Option 2 means you're going to need to produce a dashboard for each team.  The best way to do this is to create a template dashboard with the layout you want, then copy it.  On each copy, apply a view restriction down to just the dynamic node group.  Then set each view as the Home Page View and Default Summary View for each security group.

If you go with Option 2, I would recommend making a "Master Dashboard List."  This is a page I always try to build with all the dashboards I create for different purposes.  It's just a view with a few of custom HTML widgets with links to various pages I build.  Whenever I build something new, I go add it to the list.  Add the Master Dashboard List view to the top of the Home menu and everyone can find everything.

Another thing to play around with is the "Group" view.  When you click on a Group, it takes you a page that only shows stuff about that group's members.  It's pretty customizable.  That might be an easy way to make a bunch of "different" dashboards without having to actually make them.