Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Installing an APE for SAM installation

Jump to solution

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I hope you all can provide me some guidance.

We currently have an Orion Platform in our environment that is being utilized for network monitoring.

Management is wanting us to also start using SAM. 

The issue is the primary polling engine is nearing its polling limits so we are wanting to install an additional polling engine and web server for use with SAM but I am unsure about the licensing requirements for the APE. 

The install scalability engine documentation states "Installs an APE that does not require a license for SAM, SCM, SRM, VMAN, and LA users. These APEs collect only SAM, SCM, SRM, VMAN, or LA data."

Does this mean the APE license is include with the SAM licensing?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MVP
MVP

SAM has its own polling rate for application monitor but the servers themselves would count as nodes against your overall Polling Rate %.

For the Additional Polling Engines, it depends on your SAM license:

• Older SAM licensing (component based) - you would need a separate APE license if you wanted to increase the amount of SAM polling your system can do
  • New SAM licensing (node based) - licensing includes free APEs that can only be used for SAM, etc. You can't poll your network devices from these APEs unless you buy an APE license.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MVP
MVP

SAM has its own polling rate for application monitor but the servers themselves would count as nodes against your overall Polling Rate %.

For the Additional Polling Engines, it depends on your SAM license:

• Older SAM licensing (component based) - you would need a separate APE license if you wanted to increase the amount of SAM polling your system can do
  • New SAM licensing (node based) - licensing includes free APEs that can only be used for SAM, etc. You can't poll your network devices from these APEs unless you buy an APE license.

View solution in original post

Level 17

SAM is licensed as an application, when your element count is above 12,000 (or so) or your polling rate is above 100%, you need an additional polling engine. It gets all the apps installed so device/app/entity polling can all happen from more than 1 server. The APE talks to the DB and the devices directly.

The cost (and I'm not a sales guy, even though I know a few) is set per APE License and can take on polling for any app you have licensed and installed on the Primary Engine. So 1 APE gets you another 12,000 (or so) elements or another server to ramp up to 100% for SAM, Wireless, or whatever "Polling" you have showing in those polling rate %'s on the polling engine page.

It will cost you the initial license purchase for the APE and renewal each year you want to maintain support/updates/et al. You already own the 'Apps' for the Orion Platform and do not have to purchase a 2nd NPM, SAM, etc. License just to run an APE.

Please let us know if you have any other questions;

-CharlesH

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services