This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Install Issues

I just went and tried to install the APM module on my servers and I am having issues with installing it on any server other than the primary Orion server.  I need to install it on 2 pollers and my web server to get this to work correctly just like the old application correct?  It is stating that I need to have a matching install package, and if this is the case, it is not available for me to download.  I have 3 licenses but can only install the application on one of my servers.  I need to have the version for hot standby, SLX Poller and whatever install is for a standalone web server.

Can someone please tell me where I can get these from?  Should they have appeared in my customer portal?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

No.  You do not need to install it on the additional pollers.  You only need to install it on the main server.  It will poll all of your servers from there.

• There is a separate install specifically for the Additional Web Server.  That should be in your portal.  If it isn't, please contact Customer Service (not Support)
    • There is no version for Hot Standby.  The only version wasn't either?  Did you just want the APM web pages on it?
    • Again, you not need a version for your SLX Poller.
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

You do not need to install it on the additional pollers.  You only need to install it on the main server. 

Denny, I'm confused by your statements and statements in the APM Admin Guide, Appendix A, pages 48-50, Installing an Additional Poller.  We installed APM ALX v1.0 SP2 successfully on our primary Orion system today. We have Orion SLX and (1) SLX Poller. The APM Admin guide and diagram on page 48 alludes to the ability to run APM on an additional poller by "modifying the appropriate XML file on your Orion server...APM pollers will now respect and poll only those nodes by the Orion pollers".  This implies to me some type of APM interface has to be installed on the additional poller. Is there a specific APM Poller version?  Can you please clarify?  We previously had 2 copies of AM on the recommendation of Sales and found out now the APM product won't install on our additional poller and only needs to be installed on the primary system.  I guess we're screwed on the 2nd copy of APM?

• FormerMember

In my previous post, I was talking about the additional web server.  For the additional poller, yes there is Additional APM poller that can go on an NPM Additional Poller.  If you have two copies of APM, you should contact Customer Service to trade in one for an Additional APM Poller.

The APM pollers are not like NPM pollers.  All NPM pollers are equal, but with APM, the main poller is the boss and the additional pollers are just workers that do its bidding.

But my question is whether you need the APM additional poller.  By default, the main APM poller will poll everything in the database.  You only need the APM additional poller for either scalability or "reach-ability"--i.e., there are devices that can be reached from the NPM Additional Poller but that can't be reached from the main Orion server.

To summarize, you probably don't need an APM Additional Poller, but if you do, you can contact Customer Service and exchange one of licenses for the APM Additional Poller.

• FormerMember

All NPM pollers are equal, but with APM, the main poller is the boss and the additional pollers are just workers that do its bidding.

Ok, I have a better understanding now. So, if I understand you correctly, if the main APM poller fails, the polling being done by the additional APM Poller would stop too?  In our case, we are interested in scalability and would prefer to distribute the workload and polling among pollers like the NPM pollers rather than have one APM poller be the central point of failure. If we lose the main APM poller, it's a total outage rather than a partial outage.  At least we would get some data in a distributed design.  And, if I may take the liberty to add, hopefully some day APM will be integrated into Hot-Standby and we won't lose any data.

Anyway, it seems to me it would be better to do the trade rather than have an unusable APM license.

Thanks,

Ron

• FormerMember

Correct, if you lose the main Orion server, then the APM Additional Poller won't work.  We are working on making the Hot Standby more comprehensive in its functionality.

How many monitors do you have?   What's the scalability goal you're shooting for?

• FormerMember
    How many monitors do you have?   What's the scalability goal you're shooting for?

Well, we're just getting our feet wet at this point with APM but we have 400+ servers between our 2 pollers that potentially will likely need some combination of multiple services/apps monitored; system services, HTTP services, etc.

Thanks for your help!

Ron

•  I read through this thread due to our deployment of Orion SLX and a hot standby engine. We also noticed that there is no visibility into our APM that resides on our primary poller on the hot standby web site.

Just curious about the following statement with regards to APM on a hot standby -

Did you just want the APM web pages on it?

We would like to have the APM pages on the hot standby web site. Could you provide more information on this.

Thanks

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to bermuda
     We would like to have the APM pages on the hot standby web site. Could you provide more information on this.

That's not a supported configuration.  We do offer an additional web server for Orion, and if you buy that, we offer a web-only installer for APM.