cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 21

How to monitor AS400

Jump to solution

I am curious if SolarWinds has any methods available for monitoring an AS400.  While I am not a huge fan of the product, I did notice that Manage Engine does support monitoring of an AS400 as can be seen HERE.  It seems like SAM could or should have a template for something like this.

We are talking to a few very large customers that are interested in having us use SolarWinds to monitor their AS400's and I would like to know what options are available or to hear if anybody else has been able to successfully do this with Orion.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Have you considered reaching out to COMTEK? They provide an SNMP Agent for IBM AS/400 iSeries servers, and have assisted a multitude of SolarWinds customers with monitoring them using SAM and/or NPM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Level 11

Anyone using COMTEK?  Would love to hear some feedback. 

0 Kudos
Level 7

ACO ENTERPRISE™ can send IBM i events (from QSYSOPR, QHST, QAUDJRN etc.) to any SYSLOG server. Learn more at http://www.ddlsystems.com/aco-enterprise-product-overview/

I'd LOVE to see some support for monitoring DB2 on OS400!

0 Kudos

Please suggest this here, if you have not already!

Server & Application Monitor Feature Requests

0 Kudos
MVP
MVP

I remember this from several years ago with a different monitoring tool.

AS400 does have snmp support, so a new template can be build from there.

Check out the IBM Redbook although it is a little old now

[edit]

I knew I'd seen it somewhere else!

Here is another link to an old thwack post

the chew toy for the dog of life
0 Kudos

Yeah, been there, did that, have the T-shirt...

Unfortunately iSeries SNMP traps are very cryptic and don't catch 90% of the things someone would want to monitor.

I'm actually half-way thinking about writing a java program with SWIS / SDK that can take the MessengerPlus activities and send them down to SolarWinds.

Trap_in_SW.png

0 Kudos

Also, what I came to find out was that Traps are tied to Orion and don't really show up anywhere in SAM.  So, even if you get the traps into SolarWinds, you can't do much with them.

0 Kudos

Based on the screenshots from the Manage Engine product that I linked to above it would seem they have a solid way of handling AS400 monitoring so it doesn't seem a stretch of the imagination that SolarWinds could do this as well.

0 Kudos

Yeah, they should but it seems, AS400 OS (like Unix OS'es ) is not their target market.  I would love to see a some kind of integration into SolarWinds so that I am not setting up the same kinds of things inside of MessengerPlus.

0 Kudos

Have you considered reaching out to COMTEK? They provide an SNMP Agent for IBM AS/400 iSeries servers, and have assisted a multitude of SolarWinds customers with monitoring them using SAM and/or NPM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Ah, this looks awesome, thanks aLTeReGo!

I am curious how Manage Engine is able to collect the data that they collect, it would be interesting to reverse engineer how that works.  If I was able to collect the data I could certainly reproduce the dashboards in Orion, if not something even better.

0 Kudos

Yeah, unfortunately the way SolarWinds handles traps is not very useful.  I would really like to see a SAM template that could collect the important statistics from an AS400.

0 Kudos
Level 8

I'm in the same boat you are - looking to find out how SW monitor's AS400s.  I came to the conclusion that outside of service availability, there isn't much available with SW templates.  In fact, I created my own.  Its very simplistic - it just does port checking for availability.  We are going to buy a separate product (MessengerPlus) and monitor the AS400's operations outside of SolarWinds.

It sure would be nice if SW would create a template for AS400 - perhaps some native monitoring.  This would be along the lines for Exchange Insight & SQL Insight templates.

Unfortunately, I doubt that will happen.

0 Kudos