This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to create an application alert based on 'remote' database query

Am new to SolarWinds and it's been a long minute (several years) since I've done work with any network management/monitoring tool.  Our organization has been working with SolarWinds for several years, but is currently used for its primary purpose: IT- network, server and process health.  There doesn't seem to be much regard towards Application Support/Help Desk scenarios that are data oriented.

Problem: We're trying to mitigate consumers of our 3rd party applications from creating Help Desk tickets several hours/days after the issue occurs, by detecting data discrepancies in the applications' databases.

My initial thought would be to have the remote DB server run a scheduled job to detect data 'anomalies' and create/send an API request to SolarWinds to create the alert on the application, but after reading the API documentation, it doesn't appear to support this type of functionality... at least not directly. It seems to be related to managing existing Alerts, not creating new alerts. 

My second thought is connecting the SolarWinds Db to our applications' DB to be able to pull the data (I am fairly certain that I could convince management and our DBA to create an isolated schema that they would allow interconnection between the databases) but I haven't found a good post on how to best do this.  SWQL a

My last thought is either to send the event as SNMP Trap, or write it to a Syslog/Windows Event

*I did glance over information on new functionality to connect to remote APIs... but not sure I will convince management that we should create a custom API to reside on our DB servers for this purpose

Any constructive recommendations or feedback is greatly appreciated