Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

How to Monitor Azure PaaS and O365 services

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am searching the documentation on How to configure and monitor Azure PaaS and O365 services using SAM. I haven't seen any step by step documentation yet. I have already opened a support ticket 24hours back and waiting for the response.

Meanwhile , if any of you have already done it, please share some references.

1 Solution

Hello All,

At last I managed to get the scripts working, none of the links here provides a complete step by step procedure.

Here is the way I went for it

1.Install Powershell on the Main Poller.

2.Install AzureRM module (Install-Module -Name AzureRM -AllowClobber)

3. Add a node portal.azure.com

4.Go to SAM-Manage Templates - Azure - Choose-Microsoft Azure SQL DB - Edit

5. Select all the component monitor and click multiple edit

6.select script argument and enter your
subcriptionID,TenantID,ApplicationID,SecretKey=yourclientsecret,Database-Name

7. save and submitt

8. Go to Application Monitor template -> select- SQL Database Template --> Assign a Node--select -portal.azure.com; click next 

9. Choose Inherit credentials from Template and Test by choosing the node --portal.azure.com

If you Azure credentials are proper it should start working.

I have also tried this method for Azure Storage and it works, only difference is in step 6, you need to provide resource group name like :

subcriptionID,TenantID,ApplicationID,SecretKey=yourclientsecret,storageaccountname,resourcegroup

The only challenge I see is how to assign the same script to multiple storage accounts or multiple SQL Database or WebApps ? Any thoughts on this ?

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
12 Replies

Is this available on the SAM application Monitoring templates https://SW-MON/Orion/APM/Admin/ApplicationTemplates.aspx ?

0 Kudos

Yes these templates are available. https://documentation.solarwinds.com/en/Success_Center/SAM/Content/SAM-Microsoft-Azure.htm 

In addition in our current release candidate that is available in your customer portal, we've improved the API poller to handle https://thwack.solarwinds.com/t5/SAM-Documents/SAM-2020-2-Release-Candidate-Now-Available/ta-p/59035... simplified Azure monitoring as well that is more  API endpoint friendly 🙂 

0 Kudos

SAM 2020.2.1 has dedicated Microsoft 365 API Poller templates that are good alternative for Office 365 SAM templates: https://documentation.solarwinds.com/en/Success_Center/sam/Content/Release_Notes/sam_2020-2-1_releas...

What about the service account, can we use Global Reader account for the query, rather than using the Global Administrator?
0 Kudos

I guess you are asking about required permissions in Azure, yes, reader access is enough.

0 Kudos

I have seen this link and is not really helpful to get the Azure PaaS service monitor. I am still not able to find a proper structured documentation from where to start.

I assume, the first step would be to deploy the Powershell and Azure CLI module on the Main poller and then I am lost.

Some of the videos and documentation shows directly that they have have template or assigning a template to a Node and some statistics but non of the documents tells how/where do you configure the credentials of Azure. I don't understand how can you assign a template to a node when PaaS service doesn't have a node..there seems to be lot of missing pieces in the documentation.

I would be really helpful if someone who has done this can provide proper steps.

0 Kudos

Hello Serena,

Thanks and I am glad that you responded, I have gone through pretty much a lot of links and also your Video which was good but still it lacks how to start with which I am struggling with currently.

I have already created the service principal in Azure and I am using this to monitor the Azure IaaS from Solarwinds, this works pretty straight forward and I can get the relevant statistics from Azure VMs.

The challenge is monitoring the PaaS services. I see we have the templates in the SAM for monitoring the PaaS.

The Gap I see is,

To which node I should assign this Azure PaaS template to ? What should that node be ? How do I create that node to which Azure PaaS template can be applied. Do I need to install Azure Powershell ? if so on  the Main Poller or all the pollers ?

0 Kudos

Hello All,

At last I managed to get the scripts working, none of the links here provides a complete step by step procedure.

Here is the way I went for it

1.Install Powershell on the Main Poller.

2.Install AzureRM module (Install-Module -Name AzureRM -AllowClobber)

3. Add a node portal.azure.com

4.Go to SAM-Manage Templates - Azure - Choose-Microsoft Azure SQL DB - Edit

5. Select all the component monitor and click multiple edit

6.select script argument and enter your
subcriptionID,TenantID,ApplicationID,SecretKey=yourclientsecret,Database-Name

7. save and submitt

8. Go to Application Monitor template -> select- SQL Database Template --> Assign a Node--select -portal.azure.com; click next 

9. Choose Inherit credentials from Template and Test by choosing the node --portal.azure.com

If you Azure credentials are proper it should start working.

I have also tried this method for Azure Storage and it works, only difference is in step 6, you need to provide resource group name like :

subcriptionID,TenantID,ApplicationID,SecretKey=yourclientsecret,storageaccountname,resourcegroup

The only challenge I see is how to assign the same script to multiple storage accounts or multiple SQL Database or WebApps ? Any thoughts on this ?

View solution in original post

Tags (1)

I experienced the attached errors.

When I try to run the following PowerShell:-

Install-Module -Name AzureRM -AllowClobber

Any ideas what isn't working? I have visited many forums, but not luck getting the command to work.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

> To which node I should assign this Azure PaaS template to ? What should that node be ? 

I faced this exact dilemma onboarding one of my clients. Turns out, there's a new "External" node status you can use. With this, the node will not be polled for ICMP or otherwise. Looks like you've gotten this far already.

> The only challenge I see is how to assign the same script to multiple storage accounts or multiple SQL Database or WebApps ? Any thoughts on this ?

I wrote a PowerShell SAM template to poll websites for custom status codes, and this is *very* close to what you're doing. When you're polling Azure, you're running a PowerShell script to get information from Azure over the internet. Then, the PowerShell script will spit out text to the console "statistic.something" and optionally "message.something" - this is what you would then trigger up, down, warning, or critical status on.

A PowerShell monitor can have up to 10 "statistics" so you'll want to re-apply the SAM template and just set the arguments. Again, sounds like you've gotten this far! The next problem you and I face, is bulk deployments of script arguments. I used the Python "orionsdk" to create the applications from the templates, then set the Script Arguments for me from a spreadsheet. But this is highly template-dependent. I don't believe there's a user-friendly way to push out custom scripts in mass.

0 Kudos