cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

How QoE discovers applications?

Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

• Would anyone please be able to help to understand how QoE is discovering applications? Is it by IPs, port numbers, deep packet inspections?
  • Also, if my app runs over HTTPS/SSL - what limitation does this imply with regards to detection as well as QoE analysis?

Thank you all,

Alex

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 13

From my understanding QoE does a DPI and correlates the ports being used to a list of common port types and what applications typically use them. e.g. port 80 = HTTP, port 1433 = MSSQL. If there are applications that are configured to use custom ports then they can trigger application types that might not directly represent the actual application using them. The QoE agent doesn't look at installed applications on the node, just what traffic is being used.

For the HTTPS question, QoE would simply recognize it as HTTPS. There is a URL filter option in the QoE settings > Manage QoE Application > New HTTP application. I haven't worked on this specifically, i just know it's there.

2016-07-06 08_21_33-Manage QoE Application.png

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Level 13

From my understanding QoE does a DPI and correlates the ports being used to a list of common port types and what applications typically use them. e.g. port 80 = HTTP, port 1433 = MSSQL. If there are applications that are configured to use custom ports then they can trigger application types that might not directly represent the actual application using them. The QoE agent doesn't look at installed applications on the node, just what traffic is being used.

For the HTTPS question, QoE would simply recognize it as HTTPS. There is a URL filter option in the QoE settings > Manage QoE Application > New HTTP application. I haven't worked on this specifically, i just know it's there.

2016-07-06 08_21_33-Manage QoE Application.png

View solution in original post

Thanks Chad, appreciate your help

0 Kudos