cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Hosts deleted from Solarwinds suddenly generate application alerts

I recently upgraded to Orion 8.5 and applied the Application Monitor upgrade and the new APM enhancements.  Today, our Solarwinds alerted us with five application alerts.  The alerts came through with a blank name for the hostname and no IP address in the message, but when I looked at the Orion Advanced Alerts interface it indicated that the alerts were for five hosts that have been deleted from the system.

I clicked the clear button [X] and cleared all the alerts, but they came back again.

How do I eliminate these alerts so that they will not return?  

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Level 13

Do they go away after you run Database Maintenance?  Go to System Manger -> File menu -> Database Maintenance...

0 Kudos

Running database maintenance has not fixed this problem. 

0 Kudos

This looks like a bug.  You can execute this query against your database to force these "orphaned" applications to be deleted.  You can use Database Manager or SQL Studio to execute the query.

INSERT INTO APM_ApplicationsToDelete
    SELECT APM_Application.ID
    FROM APM_Application
    LEFT OUTER JOIN Nodes
      ON APM_Application.NodeID = Nodes.NodeID
    WHERE Nodes.NodeID IS NULL

After a few minutes, the service should notice these entries and remove those applications.

0 Kudos

I ran the SQL and it returned 0 rows affected.  The alerts did not disappear.

I then used the console to remove the alerts yesterday and they just appeared again today, 15 hours later.

Help!

0 Kudos

At this point I think your best bet is going to be to open a support ticket.  We are going to need to get diagnostics from you to determine what the problem is. 

0 Kudos

Support determined that the issue occured because I deleted the host before deleting the application monitoring on that host.  The solution was to stop the Solarwinds services and manually edit the Applications table in the database and delete the rows containing entries for my deleted hosts. 

For example, I ran a query that said:

Select Top 1000 *
From Applications
WHERE FullName LIKE '%Hostname%'

And then deleted the rows produced by the query.

I have two concerns about this.  The first is that if I delete a host from the system I would assume that Solarwinds would then remove all the entries from the database that are relevant to that host at the time I delete the host.  This assumption is apparently incorrect and no warning is provided by Orion that I need to remove the applications being monitored on that host before I remove the host (which BTW can be a pain to do if I am removing a bunch of hosts).

Second, my attempts to at least get this added by the Solarwinds engineers to the daily cleanup process that runs each night on my Solarwinds Orion box were rejected because the Application Monitor is being replaced with the APM (or so I am told).  I am quite entrenched in the use of the Application Monitor to monitor applications on almost a thousand hosts.  

I don't appreciate being told a feature I purchased and invested my time into is now being sunset and is not going to be supported. It would be a huge undertaking for me to migrate all of this application monitoring (which is working just fine for me) to the new APM solution. 

I would like to see this 'bug' fixed in Application Monitor so that it either deletes the database entries in the Applications table when I delete a host, or a job is add it to the nightly cleanup routine to search for and remove these database orphans.

I would also like Solarwinds to make a commitment to continue to support the products we purchased and we are currently using quite extensively to provide critical monitoring of our production systems.

0 Kudos

I don't appreciate being told a feature I purchased and invested my time into is now being sunset and is not going to be supported. It would be a huge undertaking for me to migrate all of this application monitoring (which is working just fine for me) to the new APM solution. 

I would like to see this 'bug' fixed in Application Monitor so that it either deletes the database entries in the Applications table when I delete a host, or a job is add it to the nightly cleanup routine to search for and remove these database orphans.

I would also like Solarwinds to make a commitment to continue to support the products we purchased and we are currently using quite extensively to provide critical monitoring of our production systems.

AM is definitely discontinued, and we have replaced it with APM.  APM subsumes the functionality of AM in v1, and in future versions, the gap in functionality will increase even more.   I'm sorry to hear that you don't see the added value of APM, but we made the decision to start over because the vast majority of AM users wanted far more than we could ever add to AM. AM was a very simple SNMP-based tool, and we had a high demand to add WMI and port monitoring functionality. 

While we are always reluctant to end products, we have limited resources and cannot adequately support both AM and APM. Consequently, APM is the product that we have committed to support for the future.  All AM customers with current maintenance have access to APM.

I hope that you give APM a try and see that its functionality is already far beyond that of AM.  The investment in the migration should have a non-trivial payoff.

0 Kudos

See

0 Kudos