This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Hardware Monitoring on Dell Servers

Hi

I have recently purchased SAM, and I am really happy with it as a way to get a handle on what services are working correctly and what are not. Also to get an idea of capacity planning, it is an ideal tool. I am, however running into trouble when it comes to monitoring server's hardware. When I add a server it gives me the choice to select hardware monitoring.

When I choose to monitor the server's hardware, the result is not always consistent and on most servers I get the following error:

Hardware Status Undefined
Message  Hardware polling failed: The RPC server is unavailable Scope: 10.0.3.5.\root\cimv2\dell[\domain\adminuser] ErrorCode: 0x800706BA
Manufacturer    Dell Inc.
Model PowerEdge 6850
Service Tag XXXXXXX
Last Poll Time 7/12/2012 7:15:03 PM

Now the interesting thing is that it is getting SOME information but not all the information.

At first I thought that the problem could be the version of the OpenManage Server Administrator Application Version, but I upgraded the servers in question and it still continued with the same error.

I believe it might be a permission issue, as the only machine I am able to successfully get all the information is the Server where Orion is running on, but I can poll all the other information through WMI, except the Hardware Monitoring part.

Has anyone seen this?

• Are there any firewalls between the Orion server and these hosts? What OS is the server running (version & service pack). Also, are these servers local, or are they being polled across the WAN?

• There are firewalls, but the access is fuklly permitted from my polling servers, and they are local servers, all on fiber infrastructure.

All servers are Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard with the latest service pack and patches, They belong to a common domain, in which the wmi user has (at the moment so we can troubleshoot this) admin rights on the domain

• It seems like you have all the basics covered. The 0x800706BA error is a standard Windows OS error code for "unable to connect to server". It's difficult to determine the cause or reason why the Orion server is unable to connect to the remote host via Thwack. I recommend you look through the WMI Troubleshooting Guide which provides useful information for troubleshooting WMI connectivity issues. If that doesn't help resolve the issue then please open a case with support so we can troubleshoot further.