This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Hardware Monitoring not working on HP ProLiant / HP ProLiant gets Hardware Polling failed: Error 31040 or 31005

I wanted to share the fix that I found for the problems I was having related to getting the hardware monitoring working on our HP ProLiant servers that I covered with SolarWinds under case #343875.

The problem we were having was that we had three different conditions with the hardware monitoring not working within Solarwinds on our HP Proliant servers. (All of them were DL G5/G6/G7/G8 series). Two of these conditions generating an error condition that you could see from within SolarWinds that showed up as Hardware Polling failded: Error 31005 (or Error 31040)

All of the issues are related to the HP Insight Management Agent either not being installed or not upgraded or compatible with the version of HP SIM or the WBEM provider that is installed on the server.

In our case we were on SIM version 7, so we needed to install the HP Insight Management Agent version 9.0.0.0. In some cases we still had version 8.70 installed and that is why it was not working. Once we upgraded to version 9.0.0.0, we no longer had a problem once we followed the re-add process below. Accept all of the default options, there is no need to change any of them.

In other situations we had version 7 of SIM installed, but we had no version of the HP Insight Management Agent installed at all. In these cases we installed the HP Insight Management Agent on the server and followed the re-add process below. - Accept all of the default options, there is no need to change any of them.

Still yet in order situations, we were getting a “Hardware polling failed: Error 31002” – In these cases we have found that it is best to uninstall the HP Insight Management Agent, then install the new version from the command line using the /s (for silent install) /f (for force) – the command would look like >x64.exe /s /f       when installing the x64 bit edition of the HP Insight Management Agent. You will not have to set any options because the forced silent install, installs the agent with the default options.

After getting the proper version of the HP Insight Management Agent downloade and installed, you will need to follow the re-add hardware monitoring process below –

> Click on the server node

> Click Rediscover

> Click Poll Now

> Click List Resources

> Select the Hardware Monitoring option by placing a check mark in the box and then clicking submit to apply

> Clock Poll Now Again

You might have to refresh your browser window a few times depending on how long it takes to get to polling the node again, but once it does your hardware monitoring should show up again.

Caling HP support was pretty useless at helping me get to the bottom of this issue, but I suspect that others will see this problem and be looking for a way to fix it like I did.

I would be happy to answer what questions I can if you have other issues get the HP hardware monitoring to work as I think we have been through most of it over the last couple of days.

• Not a problem. Happy that I was finally able to offer something of value.

For sure my call into support yielded no help from the SolarWinds tech as she didn’t know and it was really more of an HP problem anyway.

• I'll get this documented on our side. To make sure I'm clear on this, in the end you needed your systems on SIM 7 and HPIM 9.0.0.0. Is this correct?

• We are on SIM 7 and HIMA 9.0.0.0 as our standard.

I did reply to the ticket and give them all of the info to put in in the database, but have yet to receive any reply.

Please get it documented so it can help someone else as I wasted about 15 hours trying to solve this issue till I hit upon the solution.

In case you want the case number it is: 343875

• Thanks for sharing Marlbs. I'm certain this information will help many a user save countless hours troubleshooting the issue as you did.

• Thank you. Glad I was finally able to offer something in return to those have supported me in the past.

• Hi Marlbs,

Thanks for sharing this info.

I wanted to actually ask you some additional info since you had to deal with several problems.

I have some Proliant HW in my environment and I'm having a consistent problem getting their MEMORY shown in the HW health.

I have checked the collector logs and actually don't find any of the errors mentioned (31xxx). Instead it says only kidn of this "Polling of Memory OID failed. [NodeID = 11, PollingMethod = SnmpHP] (System.Exception: No data)".

Solarwinds engineers claim that the system is not able to get response from some specific OIDs that make the whole thing work.

Since the problem, as I said is very consistent and actually happens in a bunch of DL380 G6 and BL460 G6 blades I am think we are facing some strange compatibility issue.

I have been working with one G6 blade and actually installed the latest HP agent but with no luck.

I wanted to check with you about Systems Insight Manager. As I understand it should not be a must to install as installing the SIM agent on every server that you need to monitor with Orion should suffice.

I see you from you comments like yo have instances of Insight Manger server installed on your environment. Do you have only one or you have several? Do you find it mandatory to have Insight Manager (and not only the agents) on the network?

thanks in advance,

Elton

• What I found is just because the monitoring is withing with HP SIM, does not mean it will work with Solarwinds.

However, what I found is that if you have the latest version of the HP Insight Management Agent version 9.0.0.0 it does work. (Actually, since I started working on this HP has released a 9.1 Agent - It works as well) This is apparently required is this is what HP used to get the actual hardware monitoring data and get it into SNMP that can be read by polling by either HP SIM or in this case Solarwinds.

In our case we still install the WBEM Providers and the Homepage for Clients as well. Based on my understanding, the WBEM Providers is required and installing the home page allows you to actually see if it is working on that system, so I see no harm in installing it.

The bottom line is out case was that once we focused on getting the machine ready to run with SIM and then upgraded to the latest version then SIM started working and became stable.

We have this upand running on about 100 HP DL servers running both Windows and Linux and it does work very well, once you get it working and stable.

What other errors are you seeing?

• Hi Marlbs,

This is the only kind of error that I find and that is problematic.

This happens also when polling for disk and drive arrays toward the sample blade (BL460c G6).

Pls, can you tell me what DL models are you using and can you confirm that you are able to get all the basic HW monitoring (like memory, CPU, PS, disk drives, array) in all of them and you never had similar problems when part of resource are not shown?

thanks a lot,

Elton