cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

Hardware Health Monitoring Issue 2018

Jump to solution

I have an issue with hardware health monitoring in my environment.

I have vCenter 6.0 and 3 clusters.

2 Clusters include IBM hosts and other one Include HP hosts.

In monitoring side I have NPM 12.01 SAM 6.3.0 VIM 7.0.0 WPM 2.2.1 and SRM 6.3.0.

I have also additional poller.

Vcenter and All ESXi servers poll through additional poller with SNMP and Vmware Polling.

Also I added vcenter to VMAN .

now problem is that Solarwinds dont show any Hardware Health info for this ESXi Servers

I installed OEM iso version of ESXi on each server.

Hardware health info for hosts shows successfully in vSphere webclient and also I check states in vCenter MOB. Every things is OK.

Also I checked "All Settings---> Manage pollers ---> Hardware Health Sensors" Scan Results is "Not a match".

Additional poller version also is the same with main solarwinds server.

I am so confused.

Any help could be great for my situation.

Thanks

Also I read this links before sending this post :

SAM Hardware Health Supports Lenovo ThinkServer

Lenovo x3650M5

Latest required software used to monitor hardware health - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Suppo...

Hardware monitoring and VMware

Troubleshooting Guide for Hardware Health for ESX host Server Polled Through vCenter - SolarWinds Wo...

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 10

Finally after all of this post I solve it!!!

this issue solve in this way:

First of all "poll through" option gray out because of integration of VMAN and orion.

after disabling VMAN integration "poll through" option work fine.

After that still there no hardware health info exist, so I change polling option to "Poll ESX server directly" and add "root" credential for all of them.

After that hardware info appear finally. So I changed poll through option to "Poll through vcenter" and then enable VMAN integration again.

You should know that still root credential assigned to all esx server but all of them poll through vcenter and VMAN integration is on.

Finally I solved my problem.

Thanks to all of those who help me with their replies.

pratikmehta003

aLTeReGo

kpmarcin

Special Thanks to this Document:

ESXi hosts show status unknown in Virtualization tab and NPM - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and S...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Level 10

Finally after all of this post I solve it!!!

this issue solve in this way:

First of all "poll through" option gray out because of integration of VMAN and orion.

after disabling VMAN integration "poll through" option work fine.

After that still there no hardware health info exist, so I change polling option to "Poll ESX server directly" and add "root" credential for all of them.

After that hardware info appear finally. So I changed poll through option to "Poll through vcenter" and then enable VMAN integration again.

You should know that still root credential assigned to all esx server but all of them poll through vcenter and VMAN integration is on.

Finally I solved my problem.

Thanks to all of those who help me with their replies.

pratikmehta003

aLTeReGo

kpmarcin

Special Thanks to this Document:

ESXi hosts show status unknown in Virtualization tab and NPM - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and S...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 10

I am now sure the issue is related to VMAN integration , cause now after enabling that hardware info is frozen and for real time info you have no choice but disable this integration.

I think the last solution is upgrading VMAN to v8.1 and NPM to 12.2 and SAM to 6.6.

Maybe this could solve the issue. If this way also had no benefits I think we should remove VMAN from our topology.

With last progress in new version of SAM and NPM I think VMAN loose its role in this game, But I still like features like "Time Travel" and "Chargeback".

I hope soon these features also migrate to orion.

0 Kudos
Level 16

thats great... so i guess just disabling and enabling your integration with VMAN helped in resolving it...

0 Kudos
Level 10

yes but adding local root credential is also needed

0 Kudos

Hello saeron

Could you please share with us what are the servers hardware vendor and models for ESX servers?

Do you have this issue with all ESX servers?

Kind regards,

Marcin Kazmierczak.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Hi kpmarcin

6 x3850 X6 IBM

2 x3650 M5 IBM

4 DL580G7 HP

I think its not related to Vendor or server model cause all server in vcenter has no hardware health info in solarwinds.

But in vsphere webclient and in vcenter mob all info is correct and you can see hardware health info.

0 Kudos

Hello saeron

Thanks for you reply. You have mentioned that you have added ESX as well as vCenter.

Did you try to add only ESX, without vCenter and see if Hardware health is visible?

Also, could you try SNMP Walk scan directly into one of the ESXs and check in the output, if you have FAN, POWER and other information?

Kind regards,

Marcin.

0 Kudos
Level 10

kpmarcin

Thanks for your reply

I think its not related to esx or vcenter

Cause both of them work fine and send hardware info very well.

I think this issue is related to two side polling.

One with vman appliance and other with orion .

Also in orion I add vcenter with its api and add each esx with snmp.

For details I wrote my version in above replies

The weired things is that I have two diffrent sites and I have same config on them.

But none of them has no issue.

Just version number of solarwinds is diffrent on them.

Both two sites had older version number and recently I upgrade them. But never had this problem on those two sites

0 Kudos
Level 10

aLTeReGo

Hi

Could you check my issue and tell me what you think about that?

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

Have you tried changing the polling method for these devices between direct and through vCenter?

[Settings -> Virtualization Settings -> VMware Settings -> Select your ESX host -> Click "Poll Through" and change this setting.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Thanks for reply

First of all when I choose each of esx servers "poll through" option stay gray out.

But in polling state all of esx servers are poll through vcenter

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

Correct. This would be changed at the ESX server, not at the vCenter. So you would change the ESX 'Poll Through' from vCenter to Direct.

0 Kudos
Level 10

How could I change this when "poll through" stay gray out at any situation?

Situation : select each esx server - select vcenter

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

Select one ESX host only and then change 'Poll Through'

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Level 10

aLTeReGo

Hi

I think still we have a open case here!

Do you know any other way ?

0 Kudos
Level 10

I told you that when I choice esx still option gray out

0 Kudos
Level 16

Did you try checking with 'List Resources' option and see if the hardware health sensor checkbox is selected?

Level 10

Sure I check it many time.

I have other question :

Is there any port for opening  in firewall to poll hardware health info between vcenter and Solarwinds poller?

0 Kudos
Level 16

port 443 should be open... Solarwinds collects the data from Vcenter via API so this port you can get it checked once...

0 Kudos
Level 10

if 443 not open even solarwinds dont connect to vcenter .

I mean other port if needed.

0 Kudos