This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Hardware Details Variables in Email Alerts, Always The Same

I'm using the 'out-of-the-box' 'Alert me when any hardware component goes into a warning or critical state' alert. Sorta works great. As I'm adding the new hardware monitoring (which is AWESOME, by the way) I'm finding some issues and I'm getting the emails stating that there is an issue with this server and with that server. The subject line is on the money, server name is correct, component that is having the issue is correct, first line of the email is good too, more or less the same as the subject line, all correct. However, when we get to the device details, all wrong. All the same. I could get 10 emails about 10 different servers, but the device details are all the same:

Device Details:

Manufacturer: HP

Model Number: ProLiant DL360 G7

Serial Number: *********

I've taken out the serial number to protect the innocent, and yes, thats always the same too. It doesn't matter if it's a Dell, or HP, this is what is always in the email. Is there a different query I could use? Again, this is the alert that came with SAM5.0, I've changed nothing. And again, the hardware monitoring is CRAZY ASESOME, love it, but, when the email comes out, power supply failed, I'd like the email to tell me what kind of server it is. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to throw in their 2 cents worth.

• This certainly shouldn't be happening with the out of the box alert. Please open a case with support so we can work this issue properly. You may have inadvertently discovered a bug. Please post the case number here once the ticket is opened so we can track it. Thanks! 

• I was just looking into this issue myself in the lab and was wondering if this is occurring only when testing the alert or are you receiving legitimate email notifications of hardware issues in your environment with the contents of the email being incorrect?

• All legitimate, we found a couple of bad power supplies and bad raid batteries. Very helpful. I'll open a ticket and post it here.

• skerley, we have been able to reproduce this issue in our lab and are currently tracking this as a bug under FB113229.

• I apologize to the community but I had to delete SKerley's posting as it violated the Thwack terms of agreement. The buddy drop that was provided to SKerley is not an officially supported fix, and as such cannot be publicly distributed. If other members of the community are experiencing the same issue as described above I recommend you contact support directly. They will be able to assist you. We will also be incorporating this fix into our next scheduled service release where it will be officially supported.

• I am having a different issue where none of the fields are populating?

Is this related?

• Two questions:

A) Are the hardware components showing up on the Node Details page of the server?

2) In your alert manager, when you edit your alert, under the 'Trigger Condition', is the 'Type of Property to Monitor' 'APM: Hardware Sensor'?

• 1 - Yes, above the Nodedetails I see both current hardware health and hardware details that are populated with the correct HP ProLiant info for this DL 360 G5 server.

2 - The variables that I am using in the message are the defaults that came from SW with the update as shown below -

Manufacturer: ${APM_HardwareAlertData.Manufacturer}

Model Number: ${APM_HardwareAlertData.Model}

Serial Number: ${APM_HardwareAlertData.ServiceTag}

I find it strange that it isn't populating when the info to populate it with is clearly in the hardware details, so I know it is getting it from the server.

I notice above that you are using APM: HardwareAlertData.Manufacturer rather than the APM_HardwareAlertData.Manufacturer - meaning the ":" rather than the "_" which I bleive was in the default example that came with the update. Is it is simple as this to fix the issue?

Suggestions or any idea what this is happening?

• 1 - Cool. Good.

B - You listed the variables in the email. You need to look under the Trigger Condition tab. Make sure 'Type of Property to Monitor' is APM: Hardware Sensor. (the very top drop down.)

But since you listed your email variables, here are mine. I can't say where I got these variables, just know that I'm not a DBA, I didn't come up with them.

SUBJECT:

${SensorDisplayName} on ${NodeName} is ${SensorOrionStatus}

The ${CategoryName},  ${SensorDisplayName} on ${NodeName} has a current status of ${SensorOrionStatusDescription}.

Device Details:

Manufacturer: ${SQL:Select Manufacturer from APM_HardwareAlertData where NodeId = ${NodeId}}
    Model Number: ${SQL:Select Model from APM_HardwareAlertData where NodeId = ${NodeId}}
    Serial Number: ${SQL:Select ServiceTag from APM_HardwareAlertData where NodeId = ${NodeId}}

For more information click the following link.
    ${APM:HardwareSensorDetailsURL}