cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Force Re-Inheritance of Application Monitor Template

Jump to solution

Is there a way to force nodes that use an application monitor template to re-inherit the template's settings? For example, I have a large number of applications with custom thresholds set, and I wanted to revert them all to a new threshold that is set in the template. A SWQL query would be ​much​ faster than manually editing every application and clicking the 'inherit from template' button for each stat!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

I found some stuff, but am going to stop here before I void my and anybody else's warranty. This can just be a feature request unless someone has a supported solution out there!

View solution in original post

10 Replies

This seems like it may work as a starting point for me: the query below shows all component monitors that have custom thresholds set and that have the string "SQL" anywhere in their name. In my case, these are the specific component statistics that I am mostly concerned about removing the template override for.

SELECT ComponentName, ThresholdCPUCritical, ThresholdCPUWarning, ThresholdPhysicalMemoryCritical, ThresholdPhysicalMemoryWarning, ThresholdVirtualMemoryCritical, ThresholdVirtualMemoryWarning

FROM Orion.APM.ComponentAlertThresholds

INNER JOIN Orion.APM.Component ON Component.ComponentID = ComponentAlertThresholds.ComponentID

WHERE ThresholdCPUCritical IS NOT NULL AND ThresholdCPUCritical <> 90 AND ComponentName LIKE '%SQL%'

My guess is that removing the value from these fields will remove the override, but have yet to confirm that this works or is safe.

I found some stuff, but am going to stop here before I void my and anybody else's warranty. This can just be a feature request unless someone has a supported solution out there!

View solution in original post

Level 8

We are running 6.8 and we started getting tons of warnings and critical SAM alerts.  After poking around knowing everything was ok...  I found out that all nodes are using baselines and overriding the template(not a change we would have made).  Before everything seemed just fine, no alerts/warnings.  I to would love to know how to re-apply templates to all nodes to inherit to fix this problem.

0 Kudos

M Cooper... There should not have been any reason for the 6.8 install to make that change. Can you open a ticket so the team can investigate how that happened?

I'm not 100% sure the upgrade caused it.  I just know it was around that time.  I'm trying to find out from my vendor the date of the upgrade and confirm it.  If that is the case I will open a ticket.  I should know tomorrow.  But there is no way to reapply the templates to the nodes?

I suppose we could remove and reassign the templates, but then we would lose all of the previously collected data.

0 Kudos

I'm trying to avoid that, i got over 500 nodes using SAM templates,

0 Kudos

serena​, tdanner​: is that expected behavior when upgrading to SAM 6.8?

0 Kudos

I don't believe that would be expected behavior... Give me a bit to check with the team and get back to you.

0 Kudos

Cool, thanks. I'm planning an upgrade to the latest for SAM, VMAN, etc and wouldn't want to see every template over-ridden. Also still wondering about the original question.

0 Kudos