This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

File Server Resource Monitoring (FSRM) in SolarWinds

Hello, 

Hope you are doing good. 

Just want to catch up something with respect to File Server Resource Manager monitoring in SolarWinds.

Is SolarWinds capable of monitoring FSRM Quotas on File Servers..?  If yes, how can we achieve that..?

Please guide.

Thanks,

Solaiy.

• How comfortable are you with PowerShell? I'm sure a script could pull those values and report/alert on them. 

Still, when you say quotas...if you're talking about user-specific quotas, I'm not exactly sure how you would effectively report on per-user quotas in SAM unless you could monitor the Windows event logs for an event that triggers when a user reacher their quota.

• Hello  ,

You are right. I'm referring with respect to user specific quotas. I'm not sure how to get this stuff working. 

Requirement : Alert needs to be triggered when particular quota's limit reach some specific threshold (85%).

Any idea would be much helpful.

Thank you..!!

Regards,

Solaiy.  

• Hello  ,

Just attached a sample image of the quota path (which contains number of user quotas under it). 

These path needs to be alerted whenever they reach specific limits.

Quota.JPG

Regards,

Solaiy

• You're in luck! There are two ways that you can monitor for quota events. Use FSRM to create Quota Templates. They can be hard (prevents new writes) or soft (notify only). There are several actions that you can take at any point of your choosing: when a user hits a certain percentage of their quota or when the quota hits 100%. (Or even above 100%.) The actions allow you to send an email, write to the server's event log, or to run a command. 

Option 1 could be to write to the event log on the file server, and just have Orion monitor for those events. The OOTB event log monitor might not be able to easily show the user that generated the event, but you could at least pull the event text. Just make sure that your event configuration in FSRM includes the file owner username variable. If you do want to get the username in an alert, then you could also use a PowerShell monitor to poll the event logs, and just pull the text that you want using the Statistic.Message output.

Quota Alerts.png

Option 2 could be to run a command that uses the SWIS API to generate an alert in Orion. This might require more work up front, but would be the most customizable approach with regard to the contents of the alert.

Quota Alerts 2.png

• Hello  ,

I know that you will come up with more or less a solution for any topic..

I'm checking on the above mentioned options. Will update you once I'm done with this thread. 

Thanks much..!!

Regards,

Solaiy.

• You have a few options to take a shot at now. If you want to get started on one of those, I'd be happy to offer feedback on any places that you get stuck.