cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

File Existence Monitor

Jump to solution

I am trying to use the file existence monitor in the APM 2.5 RC. 

I am trying to monitor a path on one of my servers, "C:\Program Files\EMC\ConnectEMC\failed\" for the existence of and XML file.  Can wildcards be used?  I tried specifying *.xml and the monitor doesn't seem to pick up on it.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Hi, Jody.  You can use * as a wildcard in the File Existence Monitor.

So in your case, you can specify \\dumpserver\c$\dump\dumpfile*.*  and the monitor will respond appropriately if any files exist that start with dumpfile.

I'll make sure this gets into the example in the File Existence monitor docs for the next update.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Level 13

No, wild cards can not be used.

0 Kudos

Has this changed between APM 2.5 & 3.1? I have to watch for the creation of dump files where the first few characters of the filename are known, but the remaining characters are generated randomly during the file creation. They are not dumped to an empty folder, so file count is not an option.

Thanks,

Jody

0 Kudos

Hi, Jody.  You can use * as a wildcard in the File Existence Monitor.

So in your case, you can specify \\dumpserver\c$\dump\dumpfile*.*  and the monitor will respond appropriately if any files exist that start with dumpfile.

I'll make sure this gets into the example in the File Existence monitor docs for the next update.

View solution in original post

So here is says wild cards work and later one of the other Team members says they do not. Which is it?

0 Kudos

So here is says wild cards work and later one of the other Team members says they do not. Which is it?

The File Existence Monitor fully supports wildcard matching.

0 Kudos

Hi dwsmithjr--

Josh.clark's comment was from Jan 2009 so it is dated. Roger updated this thread in Jan 2010, I would reference his verified answer.

Thanks,
DH

0 Kudos

Perfect. Thanks.

0 Kudos

whats the chances of being able to monitor a folder to see if it is empty or not?  basically I am wanting to monitor a failed queue to see if there are any failed jobs.

0 Kudos

The File Count Template should do what you want.  It takes a directory and an extension and counts how many files are in that directory with that extension.  This count is the "statistic" that is returned.  This means you can set thresholds and alerts based on the value.

0 Kudos

I did not see a file count monitor... just existence, size, and change.

0 Kudos

From the Manage Application Monitor Templates page, select the File Monitoring tag.  You should see about 5 templates including a File Count Script template.

That worked.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos