This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Feature Requests / Talk

Just some inner office talk about what we would like to see APM do.  We have not spent much time with the product, but this is what we are looking for. 

Ability to do simulations of web transactions.  (Login, click here, click there, type this in, his search,expect a certain result, do this, do that, logout. record the time of each step and compute a total time.)  I think it can do some of this now, but I don't know to what extent or how easily.

Atbility to send an email to an account, check that account via POP or IMAP retrieve and delete the message and note the time.  If the message take a while to show up in the account after it has been send I want it to keep looking for it and report in it when it does finally get there.  Or rather, be able to set a threshold that if you don't see it in under x minutes alert.

Some of these kinds of things and others along these lines could get really specific.  Maybe SW should create an API-type setup where we can write our own scripts in whatever we want and Orion can call and our script which returns a certain format of data back to Orion to log.  That would be some nice flexibility.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

We are actually planning to provide the ability to run a script in the next release.  That would allow you to do everything you've mentioned it.

• I would like to see a couple of things as well.   1.  Ability to list what Orion can see and Monitor through SNMP or WMI in APM.   2.  I would like to see this product more scalable.  I have 1500 servers which means a lot of application monitoring and a lot of times we are getting false down alarms because this new APM cannot keep up with the polling.  I have multiple server polling servers and would like it if it was possible to spread that load out.   3.  An easier way to delete application templates from multiple servers at once. It is really difficult to delete multiple applications from multiple servers and it is very tedious as well.

4. Ability to monitor AD Servers for uptime/downtime

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to mcobb
    1.  Ability to list what Orion can see and Monitor through SNMP or WMI in APM.

This is planned for 2.0.

2.  I would like to see this product more scalable.  I have 1500 servers which means a lot of application monitoring and a lot of times we are getting false down alarms because this new APM cannot keep up with the polling.  I have multiple server polling servers and would like it if it was possible to spread that load out.   

How many APM pollers do you have?

3.  An easier way to delete application templates from multiple servers at once. It is really difficult to delete multiple applications from multiple servers and it is very tedious as well.

Already planned for 2.0.

4. Ability to monitor AD Servers for uptime/downtime

Do you mean Domain Controller?  Can't you do that now with Orion NPM?  We have put basic server availability into APM because it's already part of core Orion.

• Add APM status to maps.

The ability to create parent/child relationships and groupings with both applications and nodes, status rolled up to the group level.

Add the ability to monitor a Telnet connection.  i.e. connect both with/without credentials and look for a text string

Be able to add a custom APM application that uses a script to poll the status and return it to Orion.

David