cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Exporting/Printing Application Monitoring Template Settings

Hi,

I have been asked numerous times to explain/print what the different application template monitor (each Component), and what the thresholds or limits are configured for. It is not particularly easy to screen print, printing the template does not make much sense (unless you are into that type of thing). Is there an easy way to print out or export what the Template is monitoring and the thresholds in an easily reportable format?

Thanks

Labels (1)
22 Replies
Level 10

In case anyone wanted the translation to SWQL (better protection from schema changes):

SELECT at.Name AS TemplateName , ct.Name AS ComponentName, cd.Name AS ComponentType_, t.ThresholdName, t.ThresholdOperator, t.Warning, t.Critical

FROM Orion.APM.ApplicationTemplate AS at

INNER JOIN Orion.APM.ComponentTemplate AS ct ON at.ApplicationTemplateID = ct.ApplicationTemplateID  

INNER JOIN Orion.APM.ComponentDefinition AS cd ON cd.ComponentType = ct.ComponentType 

LEFT JOIN Orion.APM.Threshold AS t ON ct.ID = t.ID 

WHERE cd.ComponentEvidenceType <> 3  AND (t.Warning != 1.7976931348623157E+308 AND t.Critical != 1.7976931348623157E+308)

UNION  ALL

(

SELECT at.Name AS TemplateName , ct.Name AS ComponentName, cd.Name AS ComponentType_, cs.Label, cs.ThresholdOperator, cs.ThresholdWarning, cs.ThresholdCritical 

FROM Orion.APM.ApplicationTemplate AS at

INNER JOIN Orion.APM.ComponentTemplate AS ct ON at.ApplicationTemplateID = ct.ApplicationTemplateID  

INNER JOIN Orion.APM.ComponentDefinition AS cd ON cd.ComponentType = ct.ComponentType  

INNER JOIN Orion.APM.DynamicEvidenceColumnSchema cs ON ct.ID = cs.ComponentTemplateID 

WHERE cs.[Type] = 1  AND (cs.ThresholdWarning != 1.7976931348623157E+308 AND cs.ThresholdCritical != 1.7976931348623157E+308)

)

Thank you,

Justin Valdez

Systems Engineer, Tobias International

justin.valdez@tobiassystems.com

Level 20

I just discovered on the list when trying to access

Active Directory 2008 R2 Services and Counters29

It takes me to a page that says:

Unauthorized

Access to this place or content is restricted. If you think this is a mistake, please contact your administrator or the person who directed you here. 

What's the deal with this???

0 Kudos

Thanks for bringing this to our attention . There appears to be an issue with Thwack that is preventing it from being publicly published. We're looking into it now and hope to have it resolved soon. In the meantime you'll be happy to know that this template is already included with SAM 5.0.1 and greater. If you upgrade to SAM 5.2, or sign-up here to download the SAM 5.5 Release Candidate this template is available out of the box. 

0 Kudos

Thanks aLTeReGo... I'm currently running 5.0.1 and about ready to put 5.5RC on...This is what my current main out of two sites looks like right now... if you have any recommendations about what I'm running please let me know.  Note I've held off on upgrading NPM although I'm probably going to soon... mainly out of fear of what would happen losing the custom property editor application (seems some of my concerns have been realized actually).  When you say template is included you mean the monitors are in there out of the box which I have.  I think your list just makes it easier to use in documentation and to show people what it includes while inside the app I can't find a way to even just list them easily all together:  As you can see... since i'm newest to SAM I haven't really let it loose yet:

Main Orion Server Details

Orion

Module NameOrion Core
Version2012.1.1
Service PackNone
Nodes currently monitored549
Total nodes in licenseunlimited
Volumes currently monitored3967
Total volumes in licenseunlimited

NPM

LicenseProduction
Product NameNetwork Performance Monitor
Version10.3.1
Service PackNone
Current number of interfaces1054
Allowed number of interfacesunlimited

SAM

Product NameServer & Application Monitor
Version5.0.1
Service PackNone
LicenseProduction
Allowed Number of Component Monitorsunlimited
Total Number of Component Monitors632
Licensed Component Monitors632
Unlicensed Component Monitors0
Available Component Monitorsunlimited

NTA

LicenseProduction
Module NameNetFlow Traffic Analyzer
Version3.9.0
Service PackNone

IVIM

Module NameIntegrated Virtual Infrastructure Monitor
Version1.3.0
Service PackNone

Additional Pollers

Orion on #########

Module NameOrion Core
Version2012.1.1
Service PackNone
0 Kudos

If you're running both SAM and NPM you will need to upgrade NPM to v10.4.1 before upgrading to SAM 5.5. Fortunately 10.4.1 includes significant improvements to the Custom Property Editor that addresses many of the limitations customers expressed with NPM 10.4. If you're not yet ready to upgrade you can download the template from the Thwack Content Exchange at the link below. This template is also available with SAM 5.5 out of the box.

0 Kudos

Just did it and so far ok:  Orion Core 2012.2.1, SAM 5.5.0, NPM 10.4.1, NTA 3.10.0, IVIM 1.5.0

Only problem I've into so far with SAM5.5RC is when I went back in the database R/W to set my EventTypes table Volume Remapped, Volume Disappeared, and Volume Reappear and tried to set them to not record... I've run into what must be a bug with the Volume Reappeared... I'll uncheck Record and the database and refresh and just rechecks itsself.  This doesn't happen with the other two volume events I had to modify.  The reason is without this change I'll get 10K plus events daily especially Volume Remapped events from all of the indexes on my NetApp volumes changing all days long which makes events effectively useless.  Why the database manager allow me to change two of the three but the third won't stick in Read / Write mode is beyond me.  It worked in 10.3.1 Volume Reappeared won't allow me to uncheck record or to check mute... either just change back when I run the query.

0 Kudos

ecklerwr1,

I just checked this on my system and it worked as expected (unchecked record for the Volume events you mentioned). I closed DB Manager  and opened it again to confirm the changes were saved. Worse case you could use SQL Management Studio to make the change, but I'm not having a problem changing it with the DB Manager we ship. Can you try again and make sure it's still happening?

Mav

Events.PNG

I used to keep trying until I got it to stick but when that fails it's really easier to just run queries like this:

SELECT TOP 1000 * FROM [dbo].[EventTypes]

UPDATE eventtypes SET Record=0 where Name='Volume Remapped'

UPDATE eventtypes SET Mute=0 where Name='Volume Remapped'

This helped the flood all day long of every volume out 100's all day long being remapped.  I did the same thing for volumes coming and going as well.  For some reason NetApp's do this all day long...

BTW... I still  have to redo this after any upgrades.

that worked flawlessly.

many many thanks

0 Kudos

gilchn​, make sure you mark ecklerwr1​'s answer correct/helpful, if that solved your issue.

0 Kudos

dear sir/madam,

i'm refering to the old post by ecklerwr1 Expert Feb 7, 2013 3:42

first of all , i'm new here and i would like to thank you for your great script solution to export the components to csv

but i need a solution to export each node with his components attached to him (meaning the ones that we monitor on each node (cpu,counters etc...)

i've managed to export only part of the solutions (nodes with their IP and Some Details ) or the following the script you've posted

could u advise how to acomplish both under the same query ?

or action ?

thanks in advance

igal.

0 Kudos
Level 20

We recently went with NPM, NTA and SAM SLX at multiple sites and are in process of defining SLA/OLA's... having a list of what can actually be monitored and what the default thresholds are would make it easier going through the process we're in right now...  I'm piecing some of it together into a word doc so I have something to start with but it's not simple.

I'm going to be questioned in the exact same way I'm sure...

My thoughts are I'd like our SLA/OLA's to be modeled off of what NPM and SAM can do instead of multiple groups in-house coming up with their own requirements then telling me to make Orion monitor it and fit around their numbers.

At least alterego got us part way there by at least listing the various application monitors since there's no way to do it inside SAM:

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

It's not natively possible today unless you consider using the "Export to PDF" option in the top right of the screen. With a little help from someone in the it should be possible create a custom SQL report that would include all the information you're looking for in a single, simplified report.

0 Kudos

The report to show basic info like component type & thresholds for all templates could be based on query like this:

SELECT AppT.Name AS 'Template Name', CompT.Name AS 'Component Name', CompD.Name AS 'Component Type', Thres.ThresholdName, Thres.ThresholdOperator, Thres.Warning,Thres.Critical

FROM APM_ApplicationTemplate AS AppT

INNER JOIN APM_ComponentTemplate AS CompT ON AppT.ID = CompT.ApplicationTemplateID

INNER JOIN APM_ComponentDefinition AS CompD ON CompD.ComponentType = CompT.ComponentType

LEFT JOIN APM_Threshold AS Thres ON CompT.ID = Thres.ID

WHERE CompD.ComponentEvidenceType <> 3

UNION

SELECT AppT.Name AS 'Template Name', CompT.Name AS 'Component Name', CompD.Name AS 'Component Type', cs.Label, cs.ThresholdOperator, cs.ThresholdWarning, cs.ThresholdCritical

FROM APM_ApplicationTemplate AS AppT

INNER JOIN APM_ComponentTemplate AS CompT ON AppT.ID = CompT.ApplicationTemplateID

INNER JOIN APM_ComponentDefinition AS CompD ON CompD.ComponentType = CompT.ComponentType

INNER JOIN APM_DynamicEvidenceColumnSchema cs ON CompT.ID = cs.ComponentTemplateID

WHERE cs.[Type] = 1

Please note that thresholds in this report that show a value of "1.79769313486232E+308" have no threshold defined. This is an internal number that's equivalent to null. I've also published this report in Report Writer format for download through the Content Exchange. It can be found here ->

aLTeReGo, how would you filter these in where clause?  thx

0 Kudos

Oh, you probably mean those magic values (it is actually Double.MaxValue) which are representing "threshold is not set"...

I think that they are always connected to one specific threshold operator (probably greater than) so I would use something like:

...WHERE CompD.ComponentEvidenceType <> 3 AND NOT (Thres.ThresholdOperator = 0 AND Thres.Warning > 1.79E+308)

...WHERE cs.[Type] = 1 AND NOT (cs.ThresholdOperator = 0 AND cs.Warning > 1.79E+308)

Unfortunately I don't have access to database right now to verify this.

Thanks for that!

I was able to get around it by using:

(t.Warning not like '%1.79%E+308' and t.Critical not like '%1.79%E+308') and ...

Interesting its only on gt..  I'll have to test that out.

Have fun!

0 Kudos

That's just how good Petr Vilem is. He can write the SQL query blindfolded

0 Kudos

What do you mean by "these"? What characteristic do you need to filter on?

0 Kudos