This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Explain windows event log monitoring

Can someone explain to me how the windows event log monitoring works? I tried the default 1.5 session polling cycle thing (at the bottom of the monitor form) and it's finding duplicates. I changed it to 1 and it's still reporting events more than once. I'm trying to check every 5 minutes for any NEW events of a certain criteria. So I can report that yesterday there were XX events of a criteria and then look at the timestamps when it found them and go to the event log and find them. But I'm getting many more than are actually there, reported in Orion.

Thanks!

• The "polling cycle thing" is when it will clear the alert. Here is a break down

5 min Polls, 1.5x "polling cycle thing":

12:31 Entry in windows event log.

12:32 APM Polls, looks in event log between 12:24:30 and 12:32:00. Finds match to event log entry, Component is down.

12:37 APM Polls, looks in event log between 12:29:30 and 12:37:00. Still finds match in event log, Component is still down.

12:42 APM Polls, looks in event log between 12:34:30 and 12:42:00. Does not find match, Component is up.

• Thanks. So maybe I'm using it the wrong way. I was led to believe I could use it to determine how many times an event is in the log each day and which polling cycle it was found in. To me, it's only "up" if it was not found in the last polling cycle. And it's down as long as each time it's polled it found one since the last time.

Is it possible to use it how I want to?