cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Exchange 2010 Mailbox Role Counter problems

Jump to solution

We are in the process of rolling out our Orion installation, and we are having problems with some Exchange 2010 counters.  For certain counters we get an error:  Bad Input parameter. Instance 'Information Store' does not exist in the specified category.

We are running APM 4.02 SP4 with all the hotfixes, and Exchange 2010 SP1.  I have WMI access, and everything else seems to work, just a handful of counters are not working.

Suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

To find out what counter is APM looking for, just click on 'Edit Application' to get to Edit Application page and expand that component. You will see name, category and instance settings for that particular counter and you can compare it with what you can see using perfmon.exe on Exchange server.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Level 9

We are getting the same thing with the Exchange 2010 Mailbox Role Counters (Advanced) and the Exchange 2010 Unified Messaging Role Counters (Advanced). Note, ALL of the other counters are working fine with these 2 Exchange 2010 mail servers. Stumped at the moment. Can anyone help?  Does anyone know how to test these manually through a WMI process monitor?  I tried looking the other day, but there are many catagories and not sure where these exact counters reside.

Mailbox Role Counters Diiscovery Failure (Note the 2 green catagories!).

Unified Messaging Discovery Failure:

0 Kudos

We don't use unified messaging here, so I have not added that counter, but there are also failures in the Hub Transport Role counters.

0 Kudos

Thanks to Hamza with SW Support (Case 256329), we discovered that the services failed because they aren't even enabled (At least, the perfmon counters are not installed!). 

0 Kudos

I found permon counters for the services that were failing, but I am unsure if they were "labelled" correctly for SolarWinds purposes.  Is there a way to find out what counter that Orion is looking for?

0 Kudos

To find out what counter is APM looking for, just click on 'Edit Application' to get to Edit Application page and expand that component. You will see name, category and instance settings for that particular counter and you can compare it with what you can see using perfmon.exe on Exchange server.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Ok. So if the the counter does not exists on the server? Do we delete the component monitor name?

Like for example,

• Message Sent/sec
  • Message Delivered/sec
0 Kudos

Those counters should certainly exist. I would suggest using Perfmon.exe on that host to determine if they have a custom instance name defined that might need to be populated in the component monitor. However, you can always delete any component monitors from the template or assigned application that you don't want/need. Simply edit the application (top right of the application details view) select the component you don't want to monitor and click "Delete".

0 Kudos

OK, I see what is happening now, the counter exists, however I do not have an instance available to monitor for whatever reason.  For example, under MSExchange Database--> Database Page Fault Stalls/Sec, there is no instance for SolarWinds to pull data from.

0 Kudos