cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 13

Email User Expeerience - Synthetic Transfers

I was told when I purchased APM that you could monitor synthetic email transactions. So far, I haven't been able to find any template for this or any way to configure it. Has anyone else done this?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Level 19

You can do that with scripts in 2.0, but it's built in to APM 2.5 as first-class monitors.  Maybe you should sign up for the Beta and take a look.

0 Kudos

Thanks...unfortunately, I don't have a test environment or the time to test the beta.

0 Kudos

Ok.  The Beta typically evolves into a Release Candidate, which can be put into production.  We will support Beta participants on the RC in their production enviornments. 

RC is what we expect to be the final release, but we reserve the option to fix bugs in the RC.

0 Kudos

I just updated to APM 2.5 and I see that there is a template for POP3 UE, but not for Microsoft Exchange. Can this be configured a different way?

0 Kudos

The template for it is named "MAPI Round Trip Email". As with the other Round Trip email templates, you will have to configure its component monitor with the correct details about your mail server environment.

0 Kudos

Thanks guys! I've started configuring it and it looks good so far.

0 Kudos

When you get it working can you let me know if your response times are within reasonable expectations? When I configured it mine were around 16 seconds which didn't match reality.

0 Kudos

I've got it setup on our four exchange servers now and with the exception of one they are all hovering around 16 seconds as well. I just sent a test message from my personal account to our Orion APM account and it arrived within 1 second. These accounts reside on two different exchange servers.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

0 Kudos

Also, when I'm looking at the Component Details page, there is a response time gauge in the top right. The max value in the gauge is 2500 so the gauge is always pegged and red. Shouldn't there be a way to change the min/max values in this gauge?

0 Kudos

Also, when I'm looking at the Component Details page, there is a response time gauge in the top right. The max value in the gauge is 2500 so the gauge is always pegged and red. Shouldn't there be a way to change the min/max values in this gauge?

No, there isn't any way to change that, which is a shortcoming.  It's something we intend to fix in a future release.

0 Kudos

There is one. We called it the MAPI User Experience component monitor. Here's the help page for it:

http://www.solarwinds.com/NetPerfMon/SolarWinds/OrionAPMPHComponentTypesMapiUserExperience.htm

0 Kudos