This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Displaying a list of components in a NOC view.

I am in the proccess of creating custom NOC views in order to have something to put up on a TV in the IT Office for my team to be able to see. What I'd like to be able to have is a series of status Dots (similar to the dots next to Volumes, in Node View) with the status of processes that I am monitoring via SAM Components. I feel like that would be the best way to quickly see what's up and what's down for a given application. Is this possible?

• I've got 5 TV screens, each with 2-3 pages on rotation, one of which sounds similar to your requirement. I simply dynamicly group the required apps and servers then link them to graphics via Network Atlas:

Capture.PNG

• Hi Osborne,

Can you share us how you created this?

Thanks,

Nimesha J

• Of course NeoKevin. As with everything in Solarwinds there are a hundred ways to do things depending on your requirement but here is my own workflow:

1. First create your group containing whatever you wish to display status of. I generally create my groups dynamically in the way below but you could also build them manually:

Click 'Add new group'. Give it a name, expand the 'advanced' menu and change the status rollup mode to 'show worst status' so that it will alert when anything goes down otherwise things can be down and your graphic will still be showing green.

Click 'add dynamic query', give the query a name and build your query such as mine below:

1.PNG

Then click 'create group'. Continue to build all required groups.

2.Open Network Atlas and create a new map (or delete the background on the default that will be displaying when the app opens).

Expand 'Orion Groups' in the tree, find one of the groups you just created and drag it to the map pane on the right (drop it anywhere). *Alternatively if you don't need a group of items simply drag the server, interface, drive or whatever onto the map window.

Right-click the dot graphic it just added and click 'Select Graphic' from the context menu. Look through the graphics available for icons (not that some will change colour whilst others will only change the background colours). You can add your own graphics (I just did the ones in my screenshot in MS Paint) however adding custom graphics is a tutorial all in itself so I'll gloss over that for now.

2.PNG

Continue to build your map with all the groups or items.

3. Back in Orion, click the 'customise page' pencil at top left then click 'add widgets' at top right. Search for  'map' and drag it to your page (the one called just 'Map') then click 'done adding widgets' then 'done editing'.

Now click 'edit' on the new map box and find your map on the list that comes up. Deselect 'show colour legend' and 'show network atlas dl link' and select 'display cached map' then 'submit'.

Now if anything goes down in one of your groups it's icon will change from green to red (or yellow for warning, blue for unmanaged or grey for unknown).

• Hey Osborne,

Thank you very much for the detailed information and steps. You certainly teached me an awesome thing.

Cheers,

Nimesha J.