Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted
Level 8

Disk monitoring on physical and virtual servers

Hi all,

I am wondering if someone has experience in creating their own monitor for disk monitoring? mainly for physical Windows servers.

My first own attempt would be to create a new event log monitor that look for all the log sources that contain the word DISK in their name and then all warning and errors

Regards

Ronnie

Tags (1)
10 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Disk monitoring on physical and virtual servers

Is the intention to catch disk issues beyond what is already flagged by SAM's hardware health monitoring capability for physical servers?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

SAM already collects disk performance metrics for volumes and mount points from WMI managed nodes, as well as hardware health of Windows, Linux, and ESX/ESXi hosts.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Sorry for the late reply, i have not forgotten, just been completely swamped at work.

So i knew that SAM can monitor hardware but honestly i am not sure what needs to be done before that works. is it just WMI scanning and enable a template?

Also how do i actually send an email alert on hardware issues? like failed disks, near full capacity etc

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

You'll first need to enable monitoring of Hardware Health on the node. For Windows and Linux hosts this requires hardware vendor supplied software be installed on the server. Once enabled, the default out-of-the-box alert "Hardware component is in warning or critical state" should be configured to notify you via email when any hardware failures occur on monitored servers. The email action is already preconfigured, you simply need to change the email address from example@text to your own email address.

Default Hardware Alert.png hardware alert action.png

Highlighted
Level 8

Will this also cover disk failures? How do I best alert of nearly full disks?

Thank you

Ronnie Jorgensen

Systems Administrator

Direct: +44 (0) 1623 500293

Mobile: +44 (0) 7538 741791

Email: ronnie.jorgensen@arrowecs.co.uk<mailto:ronnie.jorgensen@arrowecs.co.uk>

Web: www.arrowecs.co.uk<http://www.arrowecs.co.uk>

<http://www.arrowecs.co.uk/>

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

For this you would simply monitor the volume and leverage the out-of-the-box alert "Alert me when the free space of a volume is less than 5%" pictured below.

Default Free Space Alert.png

Highlighted
Level 8

Thank you so much for all this. really great info.

I have just installed a new solarwinds SAM server and starting from scratch. so it has given me an opportunity to somewhat test some questions that i have since the new install are

1. If you have a VM, what options do you then have? Hardware health is obviously not an option for a VM. Is that where vCenter and ESXi host monitoring comes in?

2. If SAM for a reason cant read the hardware health due to compatability issues. what options do you have here?

3. For a virtual machine, if the disk that Windows see have issues or disappear, how can admins be alerted?

Thank you again

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

1. If you have a VM, what options do you then have? Hardware health is obviously not an option for a VM. Is that where vCenter and ESXi host monitoring comes in?

Hardware Health information is available in SAM for the ESX/ESXi or Hyper-V hosts no differently than it is for Windows or Linux hosts.

2. If SAM for a reason cant read the hardware health due to compatability issues. what options do you have here?

If you have another vendors hardware that is not supported by SAM you can use SNMP Monitors or NPM's Universal Device Poller to monitor hardware health on those systems

3. For a virtual machine, if the disk that Windows see have issues or disappear, how can admins be alerted?

If a monitored volume disappears from a Windows host it will go into an "Unknown" state, which you can alert upon if you wish.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

I know this is an older post, but i'm just now getting our environment setup.  I'm also wanting to monitor my disks.  I have WMI and such, but i'm trying to configure the actual alert.  Did you get this setup?  is it working?  what variables did you use?  Thanks,

0 Kudos