This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Disable components within Appinsight for SQL

I think I have read somewhere that you are not able to disable any individual components of either the SQL or Exchange AppInsight monitors but can anyone confirm it for me on here?

There are a number of reasons why we would want to do this, such as:

- Limit the number of alerts we receive for SQL (i would like to still see these statistics on the App page, but not receive the email notifications).

- Reduce the total number of licensed components for each server we manage (i am aware that AppInsight uses only 50 but what if i want to reduce the number of monitored elements below 50?)

If anyone can give me a suitable way to only alert on specific elements of this template that would be a great start.

Thanks

• Some components within AppInsight applications can be disabled, and possibly select others in the future may also be optionally disabled. They will not however reclaim component monitor licenses because AppInsight applications typically monitor far greater than 50 components. AppInsight applications are a way of providing tremendous value within the product while consuming a fixed number component monitor licenses. AppInsight for SQL for example monitors over 120 individual metrics even if there is only a single database running on the server. For those metrics that you're not interested in monitoring, simply remove the warning and critical thresholds for those components by editing the application, and you will never be alerted or notified about those components again. Those components will also never appear in a warning or critical state within the web interface.

• Excellent advise, thanks once again aLTeReGo.

In order to reduce the number of licenses / polls that we need to use to monitor our DB estate then is there an alternative to the AppInsight for SQL template? For example I might like to leave our production instances being monitored by the AppInsight monitor template but then just use a basic monitor template (with only a few polls) for our stage / less ciritical instances.

• Absolutely. The following templates are optionally available for monitoring MSSQL servers for anyone who does not wish to use AppInsight for SQL.

• Hello everyone

I want to monitor MSSQL server 2014 without AppInsight. Is there a version like the above but for MSSQL server 2014?

Thanks