This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

DHCP User Experience Monitor usage with Windows 2012 R2 DHCP Failover

Hi,

Has anyone attempted to use the DHCP user experience monitor with Windows 2012 R2 DHCP failover? As I'm presently setting this up and see some odd behaviour.

Using the Windows DHCP Server template which contains the DHCP user experience monitor. Get connection timeout on port 67 for dhcp1 monitor but dhcp2 monitor reports ok. The DHCP scope is configured as 50% load balanced between the hosts and I have reconfigured the DHCP user experience monitors to act as DHCP relays.

The statistics information in DHCP mmc reports that discover requests are being received by both hosts but only one is issuing offers which makes me think that the DHCP1 knows about the offer sent (mac address recorded) by dhcp2 therefore will not respond with a new offer. Any ideas how to over come this if I'm correct with my logic?

Regards

Mike

• Since the Orion Server has already been offered (and accepted) a DHCP lease from the one of the two DHCP servers within the same subnet, it's my belief that that other DHCP server will not make an offer to the same host with the same MAC address. For this you would need a second network interface in your Orion server and need to configure the "Sender Adapter IP Address" option in the DHCP User Experience Monitor uniquely for each DHCP server you wanted to monitor, so long as they're servicing the same subnet.

DHCP Sender Adapter.png