This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Customizing SAM Summary

Management has asked me to find a way to customize our messy out of box SAM summary page to look more like our Network Summary page:

pastedImage_0.png

Problem is, I need to include both nodes and applications in the list.  To get an overall view of a system's health server, apps on the server, etc.  I'm hoping someone out there has figured out a way to neatly display this.  we basically need a top level that's just the Application name, Exchange for example.  Then I need to be able to drill down and see a list of servers and their statuses.  Then I need to be able to drill down and see the application templates assigned to identify any with problems.  Does that make sense?  Do I need to create new custom properties?  If so, how do I get them to apply to both nodes and applications?

Thanks for any help and insight!

• It sounds like you need to use custom properties along with the All Applications - Tree.

I would create a custom property named whatever (application for example) and assign the name of the appropriate application to each server.  Then add in an All Application - Tree resource.  Edit the resource, and you can pick the drill down.  Choose your custom property at top, node name at 2nd, and application template 3rd.

pastedImage_1.png

• Thanks!  That gave me the piece I was missing.  But I seem to have messed up somewhere.  I created the new custom property, but because I wasn't ready to fully configure it, I didn't directly assign it to any nodes on creation.  Now I can't figure out how to assign it to nodes.  When I look at the custom properties for the nodes, its not an available field:

missing property.jpg

• You can go to Settings - Manage Custom Properties and look for it there. 

Just check the box next to the name and click View / Edit Values.

On a side note, I have noticed that sometimes newly created custom properties do not let you assign them right away.  I've had cases where I had to wait a while, sometimes the next day, before I could give them a value.  Might be why they are not populating on the node detail page yet.  However, if you are assigning a larger number of properties, the manage custom properties is the way to go so you can assign multiple nodes at once.

• If the custom property was created to apply to applications then you have to go to

Manage Application Monitors (under SAM Settings) and select the templates that are applied to a node that you want to configure the property for.

You aren't seeing them where you are looking because those are node level CPs:

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_0.png

• OK so the field finally showed up.  And I've populated it for a few nodes to test it.

I think I'm still doing something wrong though.

Here's how I have the view configured

pastedImage_0.png

Here's what I get:

pastedImage_1.png

I admit to knowing literally nothing about databases, but I'm getting the feeling I'm querying the wrong tables or something?

• I have only seen the query error when I put in a SWQL filter.  But your screenshot does not show one.  Another suggestion is to look at what the custom property can be used for (under Custom Properties -> Edit).  This is what I have mine set to, which is default.

pastedImage_0.png

• Yes, that's what it looks like.   Does it make a difference that I created it for node objects and I'm trying to view it on the SAM Summary?  It should be able to look at both I would think.  If I re-order the selection everything except that custom property works.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

To test, I tried it with a completely different custom property, also specific to node objects and that worked fine.  So now I'm really confused.

pastedImage_2.png

• The fact that it's a node property shouldn't matter.  That is how I have mine configured.

• Hey I can't help you but can you please tell me how you split the All Nodes - Tree view in having the first section be the letters only from A to D, the second from E to M, and so on?

• Sure! 

We setup our summary page with multiple columns.

We created a customer property called row_value.

Each node gets a value 1-4 to place it within the column that we want.

Then we filtered each of those columns based on the custom property:

pastedImage_0.png