This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Create Custom Components

I would like to create custom components in Solarwinds but can't find any information on how I would do that. It seems that everyone says to use templates but that needlessly complicates my environment if I understand the concept of how templates and components work together.

Example:

I want to write a script that accepts 2 parameters and provides an output. This could be made into a component that could then be put into hundreds of templates that leverage this standard script (like a file age monitor with additional functionality). 

The underlying script stays the same but the parameters sent to it will always be different based on the application. Wouldn't this be a simple component that I could add to existing application templates rather than having to create a whole new template every time?

I'm struggling to understand why I'm missing what must clearly be a basic premise of the tool.

• Hi

Can this be a way forward:

Seashore_1-1599828077635.png

Create your component in a test-template or whatever you call it.

Then with this view (sam settings / manage component monitors within templates) you can copy a component to another template or application.

• I have seen that before but it doesn't seem like a solution to me because you are copying the template as a whole. If I decide to change the script in the future that would mean I would need to change it in every location where it was copied to correct? If it was a component I would simply change it once and all of the templates that use it would work.

I'm a bit shocked this isn't a core concept of Solarwinds. I feel like I HAVE to be missing something, there is no way they would leave such a massive concept out of the product is there?