This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Component is up, component is down

I have a https monitor which seems to be a little confused at the moment.

In the Component Details box I have the following (see below for screenshot);

Component Status: Component status is Down

Component Status Details: Component is up. HTTP 200. Request succeeded

That second line is outlined in a big red box.

When I test the URL in a browser, it returns immediately with the expected text.

The parent Application status is Up also. Trying a "Poll Now" doesn't clear the problem. Also, the prior alert is still hanging about in the Active Alerts list.

This monitor did go down earlier today, but is now fine. So is this a bug, or just me?

Screen Shot 2013-04-10.png

• I'm getting the same error, but we're working on getting our website to monitor properly.  So far it's never been "UP".  I'm assuming it's a website programming issue.

• Does the website show the correct status when you remove the Search String defined in the HTTP component monitor?

• Our programmer made some changes and now mine is working.  I don't know yet exactly what was corrected.  When I would personally try to access the page (from a different domain than where it is hosted; yet the same domain as the Orion server), I was getting an error:  'Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.' 

The stack trace contained:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

OQTR.Objects.oSecurity.getEmailAddress(String _username) in C:\Documents and Settings\dm0\my documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\OQTR\OQTR\Objects\oSecurity.cs:207

OQTR.SiteMaster.Page_Init(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Documents and Settings\dm0\my documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\OQTR\OQTR\Site.Master.cs:24

System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +24

System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +132

System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +420

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1969

Hope that helps!!  I will try to find out what was changed.

• One more thing, when I was getting the 200 error, the page displayed OK for me from IE, but I found 2 links/tabs on the page that would throw an error.  I think at least one of them was the same error as above.

• The problem resolved itself after about 12 hrs. While I was seeing the issue I could navigate there in a browser just fine and could see the text that the Search String was configured to look for. Didn't try removing the test to see what would happen.

Hasn't reoccurred since, but if it does I'll try that test.

• I realize now this is unrelated to the original request, although we were getting the same error.  Anyways, here is what our programmer did to correct the error.

"In the below image, I drew a box around what was causing the error.  The code that is populating my name is located on the page load of my site master.  The issue was my code was requesting Active Directory information from whom ever was requesting the page to be loaded.  SolarWinds did not have the proper information that I was requesting.  I changed my query to ask for just the person’s name and placed a try{} catch{} around all the code.  Now, if the proper information is not found it will hit the catch function and place in the label “Welcome Guest”. 

I would guess that if other people are getting the same error then to try placing a try{} catch{} around their code where the program is making active directory calls.  Also, I was requesting an email address in my call to AD.  I doubt the service account you are using has an email address assigned in AD. "

• I am have had the same issue. Once a week ago, and once last night.

Last week when we had the issue I tried to force a clear which did not resolve the issue. One of our techs disabled and reenabled the monitor in Solarwinds resolving the issue.

Yesterday it was noticed that we had one of these alerts that did not clear but 4 or 5 would come in and disappear from other servers. From a report on alerts I created it was identified that all of these "Alerts" for

Component is up. HTTP 200. Request succeeded

were being received on the same polling engine. Originally I restarted all services in Orion Solarwinds Manager both on our main Solarwinds Server as well as the affected polling engine. This made things worse causing a flood of bogus alerts from that polling engine. Rebooting the affected polling engine resolved the issue.

So from what Ive seen I would recommend either trying to disable and reenable the monitor, or rebooting the affected polling engine.

What I would like to know is

Why is this happening and how can this be avoided or identified? What does Solarwinds have in the way of identifying monitoring failures?

When this happens and we seem to be getting alerts for something good and that tests good from the monitor itself, are we also missing alerts due to this Solarwinds glitch?

Are there any patches/fixes or otherwise that address this?

Thanks

• We have identified bug causing that component status changes could get lost under rare conditions which I believe can be related to this issue. This bug has been fixed for 6.1 which is currently in RC phase.

I would be interested whether restart of "SolarWinds Collector Data Processor" service instead of rebooting whole machine would be sufficient to resolve this issue.

• We just saw this again on a http monitor. I restarted the SolarWinds Collector Data Processor via the Orion Service Manager and the problem cleared. So that appears to be a working fix for it until we can upgrade to 6.1.